Bedside Manner (Colin Creevey)

I'm extremely surprised by the number of you fawns who were showing a lot of love for Colin. And to think, in the last Colin one shot, no one could think of him as anything but that little first year (I was guilty of it too)

How has everyone's summer been so far? I've been busy with uni stuff and work ~

St. Mungo's had never been so busy. All the reserve staff, all the trainee healers and even those that had gone on maternity leave, had turned up at the distress call the hospital had sent out. The moment Hogwarts had called for help, we all knew that those of us who had been trained in healing magic, could not take part in the battle. Instead, we knew that our role would be to heal those who had been injured in the fray.

Once the Ministry had fallen, the hospital had put a plan in place for this eventuality and it was quickly put into action. Dozens of healers were sent off to Hogwarts to take refuge in the Hospital Wing where they would be working on the frontline. Those of us that remained in the hospital, were working with whoever was brought in through the doors. Because that was at the very core of our training, we all knew that we would have to heal even those we disliked.

And as I stared down at the masked death eater lying on the stretcher, I had to take a quick moment to push down the utter hatred I felt for the man. I would have to ignore the visceral need to hex him and instead, I'd need to help get him into one of the rooms where he could be treated. If there were any such rooms available, that was. Godric, the number of causalities that were being escorted out of Hogwarts and to the Hospital, always seemed to be increasing.

Once we managed to find a space for the patient, I listened attentively to the orders that the senior healer was giving out and moved to fulfil them quickly. We worked hurriedly but made sure to do our best to heal the man in our care. It wouldn't do to have to spend more time on him because of a mistake we'd made. No, the sooner we had him all patched up, the sooner we could move down the steadily growing list of patients.

Quickly I finished dressing the wounds of the patient who had to be knocked out after having woken up to discover that a muggleborn medi-witch was helping us. He had gotten angry, spouting foul abusive language at the witch who was only doing her best to heal him and he'd needed to be sedated. The witch had promptly burst into frustrated tears but still continued to help us, wiping her tears away and sniffling only once before concentrating on her work.

Finally finished with the patient that was lying on the bed, I only looked down, a little resigned when my magical pager went off again. I stared down at it and quickly made a note of the room number that briefly flashed on the screen and hurriedly made my way down to the floor below. The halls were packed with medical staff who were running to and from rooms, usually with arms full of extra gauze or gloves and this wasn't the first time that we were all cursing the hospital for the anti-apparition wards that had been placed on the building.

Just as I reached the stairwell, my hand froze on the bannister, eyes instantly drawn to the patient that had been brought in. The boy – barely a man, really – was suffering from a horrific head wound that had the healers struggling to slow the bleeding as they trailed after the stretcher. Godric, I swore I felt my heart stop before I forced myself into action.

I hurried quickly, grabbing a hold of one of the trainee healers that were trailing after the stretcher. He had been so focused on not losing sight of the patient – Merlin, what had Colin done to end up in such a state – that he physically started at my touch. We exchanged very few words before he was hurrying to take my place and I rushed after the stretcher that was about to disappear from view. Ducking into the room, I took my place beside the healer who would lead our small team.