A Good Man (Theseus Scamander)

So this has ended up published a lot later than I thought it would be, but it's also much longer than I originally planned it to be as well. This is definitely, without doubt, the longest one shot I've written at 14k+ words 

Last I checked, I think three(?) people had managed to guess correctly. Anyway, I put a lot of effort into this so I hope you like it 

Very rarely was a student called into the headmaster's office and on the scarce occasions where they were called in, it usually signified some sort of disciplinary action. And so, when one of the prefects had walked into the common room to announce that the headmaster was expecting me, I instantly began to wrack my mind. What could I possibly have done to warrant disciplinary action? Helga, I'd never even gotten a detention!

But still, I'd risen hesitantly to my feet and dismissed the questions that my friends called out from behind me. If I happened to drag my steps, could anyone have blamed me? Especially when I knew how strict Headmaster Black could be? Reaching the entrance to the headmaster's office, I clutched my robes at my sides for only a moment before releasing a sharp breath. Whatever it was, it would all be some sort of misunderstanding.

Announcing the password to the gargoyle, I waited for the stairs to reveal themselves before beginning my ascent. The stairs led out into the headmaster's office and I gathered all of the little courage I had and walked towards the desk, only for my eyes to settled onto the girl seated on the chair across from the unoccupied Headmaster's seat. Suddenly, things were making much more sense; while there was no chance of my getting into trouble, she was another matter altogether.

My sister, Beatrice, had yet to even complete her first year at school and yet she seemed to constantly be getting into trouble. And Merlin, I hadn't expected to be dragged all the way to the headmaster's office to sort out her mess.

"What did you do now?" I asked, walking straight towards her.

"Nothing," she protested, throwing her hands up defensively. "I have no idea why I was called into here. But they were here waiting for me."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I looked towards the they that she was referring to. And there, besides the fireplace stood Theseus Scamander with my youngest sister in his arms. Lucille, who had just turned 3, was settled in his embrace with her arms wrapped tightly around his neck. Theseus was deep in conversation with the headmaster who was far graver than I had ever seen him. A feat I hadn't really believed possible.

There was something wrong, I realised as I reached out to grasp Beatrice's chair as if to steady myself. Headmaster Black's voice trailed off when he noticed my presence and only then did Theseus look towards me. But when he did, he couldn't seem to meet my eyes. Why couldn't he meet my eyes?

Shifting my eyes anxiously towards the eldest man in the room, I struggled to understand what was happening. For his part, the Headmaster was already walking away from the fireplace and towards the exit.

"I believe it would be best for me to leave you alone," he declared as he left the room but I was not watching him. Instead, my eyes were focused on the Auror who had finally looked towards me and his gaze was so heavy that I struggled to breathe under it.

Lucille fidgeted in Theseus's arms and he bent down to release her. She instantly ran towards me and headed straight into my outstretched arms. Wrapping my arms around her, I held her close and went to breathe in her calming scent. Her hair smelt of smoke –

My mouth parted and I clutched her even closer, trying to hide my quivering grip. Lowering Lucille to the floor again, I told her to take a seat beside Beatrice before finally approaching Theseus. He stood rigidly, hands clutched behind his back.