Chapter 54

Connor's POV

Carl and Ash took care of Gavin. Zane was alright. He got hit in his side. It hadn't had the chance to become deadly. He would heal. I was in (F/n)'s workshop. I could only sit in a chair there and watch as Kent and (F/n) worked to take the bullet out and close up the wound. I didn't even watch. I couldn't. It would make me sick...if that was possible. Tried tear tracks still stained my face. I couldn't get the picture out of my head. I remembered every detail about that moment. Her eyes looked distant and the light was fading from them. Her skin had been ice cold. Her pulse was hardly there. I couldn't bare scan her. I didn't want to know if she was getting better or worse. It was all too much. I wasn't afraid. I wasn't even terrified. I was numb. I didn't know what to do. A voice brought me back to the present. 

"Connor." I looked up at Kent. "You need to leave." I was stunned.

"What?" I asked.

"Come on. Let's go." Kent said.

"N-no...I-I can't leave her." I said. I was too shocked to resist as Kent took my hand and pulled me out of the room. The door closed and he lead me over to the couch. I sat down. Kent went back into the workshop. Her family tried to comfort me. Ash said nothing. Tears were in his eyes, threatening to spill over even though he just looked angry. He suddenly turned and punched the wall so hard that his hand started to bleed. Everyone jumped expect me. I was surprised in the slightest. 

"Ash, calm down. You're gonna hurt yourself even more." Scarlett said. He said nothing for a moment.

"I'm going to train." He said plainly. 

"No." Zane said.

"Try and stop me'fearless'." Ash hissed back, his green eyes burning. Zane grabbed his hand. 

"Ash." He said. Ash didn't look at him. Zane hugged him. Ash froze, stunned. "She'll be okay brother." Ash calmed down and hugged back. 

"I'll get some bandages for your hand." She left and came back soon after. She treated his hand. Ash looked at me.

"Connor, come with me. I wanna show you something." He said. I followed him. We went outside and he looked up at the stars. We just stood there for awhile, but then he grabbed my hand. "Never tell her I showed you this." Before I could react memories flashed through my mind, but it landed on one specific one.

*In the memory*

I saw (Y/n) crying on her bed. She was younger. I saw Ash walk over to her. He sat down next to her.

"(Y/n)?" He asked. He was younger too.

"S-she's gone!" (Y/n) cried, sobbing loudly.

"Shh, it's okay. It's gonna be okay sis." He said, hugging her.

"It was my fault Ash!" She sobbed.

"No, it wasn't." Ash assured her. I watched, stunned. She latched onto him.

"Ash, promise me you'll never leave me. I don't want to ever be apart from you." She said. He held her tighter.

"I promise."

"Ash, you won't ever leave me for somebody else right?" She asked.

"Never." He replied. "Nobody is going to take me away from you." 

"Not even a girlfriend?" She asked, sniffling.

"I will never find another woman to replace you. You are my sister. I don't care if I ever have my own family. I already have one." He said.

"It'll always be just us right?" She said.

"Always."

*End memory*

He let go of my hand and I blinked a few times. Ash stared at the water in the pool.

"I've been there for her through everything Connor." He said. "I was there when Mom died. I was there during all her darkest days. I took care of her on her sick days. I made her days even brighter when they were good. I did everything for her, include give up my entire future. Connor, her future is changing. It might even be ending. If it does, I want to know my sister died for a good reason. Every day of your life you remember this moment. Make it worth it, Connor." He said and left. I stayed there. "Make it worth it, Connor." I thought about it. How...?

Kent's POV

We did everything we could. She was losing blood still. I worked with my father as fast as I could without putting her in danger. I pushed my glassed up and kept working. I suddenly heard a noise that made me freeze in horror. I turned and looked at the monitor.

"Oh my god..." I breathed.

"Kent." I looked at my dad.

"You must leave." I had tears in my eyes.

"D-Dad...s-she's...."

"Go." He repeated. I left, crying. I failed....I failed! I failed! I FAILED! I thought. I walked out and they all looked at me. They saw my face. Connor wasn't there. I sniffled. 

"No." Zane breathed.

"D-Dad's our only hope for her now...." I whimpered. "But she was shot in between her ribs....he's never done one this bad before." I said. "I...I don't know if..." I cried.

"I know somebody that can help us." Carl said. We all looked at him. 

"Who?" I asked.

"One of Dad's old friends. I know they don't get along anymore, but I think both of them can compromise in this case."