Childhood promise

"Really? A boy my age is moving in?!" A 10 year old, Rantarou Amami, asked his father. "Yes, they're moving in next week. We're going to visit them when they're settled in so please behave. Tell your sisters." His father answered. Rantarou obeyed and ran up to his 12 little sisters, forwarding his father's message.

Rantarou was beyond excited. His neighborhood was full of old people and really mean teenagers. Sure, he had friends at school but they lived really far away and his parents didn't always have the time to drive him places. So for a kid his age, no, a boy his age to be moving in elated the child. Rantarou even began counting down the days on his little planner on when the neighbors are said to move in.

After a forever's wait, the news finally came in. "The Saihara family is here. We're going to visit them tomorrow,  alright?" Rantarou's mom said to him. Rantarou rapidly nodded his head. He wondered what this boy would be like! "Are you excited?" His dad asked with a laugh. "Yeah! Yeah! I'm going to sleep extra early and I'm going to be suuuper friendly and share my toys with him too!" Rantarou exclaimed, his green eyes sparkling with delight. Rantarou's dad laughed again and ruffled his hair. Rantarou kept his promise and slept early.

Rantarou groaned as he sat in the living room of the neighbor's house. Apparently the kid lived with his aunt and uncle and currently, his mom and the kid's aunt was chatting up a storm. Rantarou put a hand on his cheek and looked at the many boxes in the living room in boredom. "Oh dear! I'm so sorry! Is that your son?" The kid's aunt asked. "Yes. This is my son, Rantarou. He's the same age as your nephew. You know, Rantarou was really excited to meet him." His mom introduced and Rantarou short the other woman a toothy grin. "Of course! I'll get him down!" The woman said before running upstairs to bring down the kid.

Shortly, she came back. Her expression looked sheepish. "I'm sorry, it'll take some time, he's really shy." She said as she looked behind her, probably hoping the child followed her. She looked dejected when he wasn't there. "Please give me a moment." She said as she went back upstairs. "Shuuichi dear, please come down." They heard her say. It remained silent and Rantarou started to frown. He was really hoping to meet this kid.

The woman came down again, but this time, she was holding a little pale hand. However, the child remained behind her. When she reached the living room, she looked to still see the child clinging onto her from her back. "It's okay, our neighbors are really nice. Here, look. They even have a boy your age." She said, her voice noticeably softer than before as she looked behind her to talk to her nephew. Slowly, a small face emerged from her back. The boy had grey eyes with rather long eyelashes and navy blue hair. He looked beyond nervous as he tried to show as little of his face as possible. Rantarou waved his hand rapidly. The boy squeaked and ducked his head back behind his aunt.

Rantarou frowned again. Was he scaring the kid? "Don't worry, he's always like this.." the woman said with reassurance. After some soft coaxing, the boy finally completely emerged from her back, but he was still tightly holding her hand. "Good boy. Now introduce yourself." The woman instructed. "I-I'm Shuuichi Saihara a-and I'm in the fourth grade and I—" "Hi!! I'm Rantarou Amami and I'm also in the fourth grade! Nice to meet you!!" Rantarou interrupted, unable to contain his excitement. Shuuichi flinched and leaned closer to his aunt's hip but Rantarou's mom and Shuuichi's aunt laughed. "Sorry, he's such a ball of energy, it's hard to control him sometimes." Rantarou's mother said with a smile as she held Rantarou close to her. The green haired boy scoffed.

"Aw but he's such a darling. Don't get me wrong, Shuuichi is a sweetheart but he's not very open with other kids like your son." Shuuichi's aunt replied. Rantarou's mom smiled. "What does Shuuichi like to do? Rantarou likes to explore, you wouldn't believe how many times we had lost him." His mom said. Shuuichi fidgeted behind his aunt. "I-I like to read.." He said sheepishly, though his voice was very quiet and hard to hear. His aunt smiled. "He really likes to read!" She said. Rantarou tried so hard not to stick out his tongue. He disliked reading. Seriously! What 10 year old sits down and reads instead of going outside and having the adventure of a lifetime! Why was this kid so boring?

Shuuichi's aunt prepared dinner for everyone and they were able to eat together. Rantarou had to admit that the food was pretty delicious. He looked back at Shuuichi who avoided eye contact. Rantarou sighed. This was disappointing. As they were leaving, Shuuichi's aunt tapped Rantarou's shoulder. "Can I talk to you for a moment?" She asked quietly. Rantarou agreed and she took him somewhere a little private.

"As you can see, Shuuichi has a very hard time communicating with people. Especially with other kids. So since you're his neighbor, can you please take care of him and maybe try to open him up a little?" She asked, her voice hushed. Rantarou blinked. "Um sure..?" He replied. "Promise?" She asked. "Pinkie promise." He stated as he held out his pinkie. She tied his pinkie with his. The lady then smiled back at him. "Thank you so much, I really hope you help him!" She said cheerfully and she sent him off back to his mom.

Rantarou thought to himself as they went home. Take care of Shuuichi? How was he going to do that? He didn't even think they'd get along that well since Shuuichi clearly seemed to have opposite interests. Well, his aunt did ask him to help Shuuichi open up.

Rantarou tried to keep his promise as the years passed by. Rantarou remembered how kids used to pick on Shuuichi in elementary school and Rantarou always used to step in. He protected Shuuichi to the point that he even went into some fights and got himself in serious trouble. In middle school and beginning of high school, Shuuichi's mind started to wander in the wrong places and Rantarou made sure to always be there for him. Overall, Rantarou always made sure to hold his hand and stay by his side no matter what happened.

While that, they also grew to be good friends. It started awkward at first when Shuuichi would constantly beg him to return home whenever Rantarou tried to take him exploring. Or when he cried at the sight of a spider crawling around the tree that Rantarou wanted him to climb. Or when he was reluctant and shut Rantarou out during hard times. Though, he soon started to open up. Rantarou could still remember the first time he flashed him a smile in middle school, though it was sad and weak. Then it evolved into genuine smiles and laughs.

Then came the time during senior year of high school.

"I-I really appreciate how you always took care of me.." Shuuichi began. "Well of course, it's only natural for the both of us to stick together, right?" Rantarou replied. "Yes but.. why..?" Shuuichi asked. Rantarou hummed to himself for a moment. "Well lets just say that I made a promise to take care of you." He said with a smile. Shuuichi nodded. "Um.. and I have another thing to say.." Shuuichi said while looking away. "Hm?" Rantarou asked casually.

"T..thank you.. I.. I love you.." Shuuichi said sheepishly.

Rantarou closed his eyes. Right, he remembered some of the odd feelings he's had throughout the years. Even during childhood. The feeling is adoration he's had for the other.

"I love you too.. I always sort of did.." Rantarou replied sheepishly.