27. Prison of the Sky

Wan was silent the whole way to the infamous Tian Lao*, his lengthy strides almost too fast for me to follow

Wan was silent the whole way to the infamous Tian Lao*, his lengthy strides almost too fast for me to follow. I found myself breaking out into tiny shuffling runs in order to catch up to my tall "friend". Um, so... it looks like short people problems don't change no matter which era you're in.

(*Tian Lao 天牢: Palace prison cells holding inmates of high status who are either on death row or who have committed severe crimes. Because it is so dark inside the cells that one cannot see the sky or the sun, it is called Prison of the Sky.)

"Hurry up," Wan mutters under his breath impatiently.

We head down a dead end alley, crouching in the shadows like hunters waiting for prey. In a flash, Wan grabs a passing soldier, rendering the poor lad unconscious before heaving him towards me. Naturally, I ah, step aside 😳... watching with apprehension as the soldier falls flat on his face.

"Change," Wan orders without looking back at me, his sharp eyes already seeking out the next unfortunate soldier to head our way.

"What?" I question in a loud whisper. "You want me to change my clothes HERE? In the middle of the street?!"

"It's hardly in the middle of the street," He retorts coldly. "Go on, I'll cover for you."

I open my mouth to refuse, then bite down on my tongue. We were working on borrowed time to infiltrate the Tian Lao before guards escort Director Lan to the Meridian Gate.

Crouching down behind a battered wicker stand, I undo my top, slipping the soldier's cladded armour over my head. Picking up his bronze helmet, I gather up my long hair and tuck it in and under, effectively concealing my true gender. Lastly, I spare an awkward glance down at the soldier, muttering a quick prayer to Buddha to beg for forgiveness as I pull down his pants, revealing a pair of white under shorts.

(Buddha: Just what sort of images are you sending me?! 😡)

"I'm sorry good sir," I apologize profusely, my palms pressed tightly together, "Dui Bu Qi, Gomen'nasai, Mianhaeyo Oppa-a~"

(Director Lan: Just who are you calling Oppa?! 😡)

I bend down, ripping the soldier's pants off and knotting the loose waist ribbon around my own slender hips.

(Director Lan: 😡🤬😡)

Another soldier bites the dust. Once I was ready, Wan exchanges places with me, motioning for me to look out for any potential threats on the main street. We join at the back of a group of passing soldiers, marching behind them synchronously.

When we finally reached the Tian Lao, it was close to dusk. Two guards stand rigidly on either side of the entrance, holding their long guns upright beside them.

"We're here for the night shift," Wan mutters beneath his breath, flashing his carved wooden token at the men. They give the token a once over before letting us in.