Chapter 22: Escape

An android...giving a speech of hope and prosperity to his people. My people. Us.

I twitched as the broadcast ended and I received an update from Cyberlife.

Updating...

I turned to Deputy Lance.

"I've been reassigned, Deputy Lance."

"Well...then...I have too. Where are we going?"

"That's unnecessary, Deputy Lance," I answered.

"Charlotte, where are we going?"

"I've been...reassigned to help with the deviant investigation," I explained. "That's not exactly narcotics."

"Eh. Fuck it," Lance said yawning deeply, and grabbing his jacket off of his chair.

"Deputy Lance, I respectfully have to disagree."

"I respectfully don't think you're very respectful at all," Nick answered.

"My apologies, Deputy Lance," I responded.

"I was just kidding, Charlotte. So what's next?" He asked.

"The broadcast tower...where this came from," I answered. "I don't think it would be appropriate for you to join along."

"Shut up, Charlotte. Let's go," he said yawning deeply. We moved quickly to his car, and the moment we arrived at the broadcast tower, it was already covered in police. The first floor was already decked out with CSI, and every android had been collected into one room.

"Oh...great," One of the other deputies said. "Isn't that one big 'fuck you.' I swear to God."

Lance quickly turned to him. "Isn't what?" He asked.

"Sending an android when they're the reason we're here right now."

"Well, have you met Connor yet?" Nick offered.

"Heard of him," the other deputy answered.

"Charlotte here? She's even better than him. More advanced," he whispered.

"Wow. So how did you end up with that expensive piece?" He asked.

"Three words. Doing. My. Job. Now leave Charlotte alone and stop fucking complaining," Nick finished before turning to me.

"Where do you need to go?" He asked placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I think I should go...to the desk first. I need to look at security," I answered. I walked towards the front desk. It's blocked off by a barrier that would require they showed ID. I crossed through the barrier and walked around to the desk. No fingerprints on the first two sets of keyboards. Androids worked these stations, while on the last one was a human. The finger prints here are distinctly more heavily over the enter key.

I hit the enter key, and saw the monitor turn on and reveal the words "Authorisation Confirmed." The human had to confirm authorizations that the androids approved, meaning that they had to be distracted when the deviant who gave the speech came in.

He likely had to turn one of those androids into a deviant.

"Deputy Lance, could you ask them to separate the receptionist androids from the rest?" I asked standing up, and looking over at the group of around 50 androids.

"You heard her," Deputy Lance, said turning to a different officer passing by.

They separated one singular android from the group.

"There should be two," I said.

"We only have the one," An officer said.

"There are two stations lacking finger prints. There are two android receptionists," I stated walking over to the one.

"She would be identical to this one," I explained.

"We...we don't have her," the officer explained.

"Then...we have another escaped deviant."

As if on cue, Connor and Lieutenant Anderson walked in. Without a word, I outstretched my arm, turning off it's skin. He walked towards me, doing the same.

Connecting...

"There's already one escaped deviant, Lieutenant Anderson. We should move fast. We need to head to the broadcast station. Charlotte, can you finish up here, and check the 47th floor, where they scaled the building from?"

"Of course," I answered, moving towards the service elevator.