Resolution

It was that evening that everything seemed to change the most.

Esther was gone, but it was far from over.

My family had scattered. Finn, Kol and even Elijah left soon after the incident at the witches house. Only Rebekah and Klaus remained. They were deep in conversation about some other problem that had arisen, but I couldn't bring my mind to concentrate on the hushed, urgent words that they were exchanging.

I needed to go home.

_____________________________

When I arrived at the boarding house, it was empty still, the Salvatore's still hadn't returned. A swarm of thoughts were running through my head, choking and clouding everything, building and building inside me until I felt as if I were about to explode.

After a thousand years in this world, I couldn't help but feel irritated by the idea that these heightened emotions could still get the better of me, after all this time.

___________________________

I had managed to get through several glasses of bourbon, and I was absentmindedly staring into the fireplace, deep in thought as the flames danced infront of me. It was then that I heard the door open, signalling that the brothers were back. Stefan and Damon walked into the parlour, surprise unmasked on their faces as they saw me stood there expectantly.

They were silent, unspoken tension heavy in the air. Damon's face was plastered with nothing but relief, yet the hardness in his gaze told me everything else. Stefan however, glanced from his brother to me, evidently reluctant, knowing that Damon and I needed to talk.

I sighed. "I... suppose it's you two that I should thank for saving our lives." I stepped towards the two brothers, arms crossed apprehensively as they watched me in silence. "How did you manage it?"
"Your Mother was channeling the Bennett bloodline, we had to sever it to stop her." Stefan said simply, gaze fixed on Damon.
"Sever the bloodline?" I murmured in disbelief. "You don't mean..."
"Bonnie's mom's now a vampire" Damon nodded tensely. "You're welcome."

I blinked a moment, rage bubbling at the surface. I knew Damon was glib, even at the worst of times, almost like a defence mechanism. But today... after tonight, it was too much.
"You're welcome?" I scoffed. "An innocent person died, Damon. Not to mention the fact that I was daggered. So excuse me if I'm not exactly falling at your feet in gratitude."

The older Salvatore opened his mouth to
say something, but before he could, Stefan interjected, knowing that he shared equal blame.
"Grace, look..." he started, my gaze fixating on him with nothing but anger and betrayal. "We tried to get a hold of you, we did. But when we couldn't... we had to find another way to save you."
"To save Elena, don't you mean?" I spat.

Elijah, as much as he now regretted it in hindsight, had taken Elena hostage to motivate the Salvatore's to stop my mother.

Stefan blinked, evidently surprised and equally wounded.
"If my brother didn't take her... would I be dead right now?" I asked, uncertain of whether it was more of a personal musing, or if he genuinely could answer that.

I didn't want to find out.

"Don't be ridiculous" Damon said sharply, making us both turn back to him. "I'd never let that happen, Grace. You know that."
"Then Why didn't Elena tell me about Esther's intentions?" I demanded, eyes stinging. "Or either of you? God, I feel like an idiot..."
"Youre not an idiot" Stefan attempted. "It just... happened so fast. We didn't know what to think, what to do... but before we knew it, Elena was gone."
"So you chose to dagger me?" I sighed, leaning back heavily on the wall, my hands clutching the side of my head. "Why didn't you just tell me? I mean, If I knew that we were linked, I could've..."
"I'm sorry" Stefan murmured, just as my voice trailed off into nothing. "Grace, you know that I - we - would never want to hurt you."