57. Preparations for the Preparations

Irina's addition to our club was a guaranteed pass since Mura agreed to it without even requiring an application from her. Therefore, after school, the four of us made our way over to the club room in the secondary building of the school. There, we all went to our usual seats, with the only exception being Irina, who this was the first time for her to come to this room.

"You can sit anywhere you like," Loyd said to her as he retrieved the top chair in the neat stack in the corner of the room and placed it down for her.

"Thank you," Irina responded.

I didn't say much on their interactions, for it was none of my business. Rather, I was focused on scrolling through a novel on my phone. That's just how life is. Starting tomorrow, I will be plunged into a two-week cycle of staying after school and talking to other students, both things I absolutely hate to do. Thus I intended to enjoy the day as much as I can, although I can't really enjoy it since I'm forced to be present at the club instead of going home.

I let out a sigh, reminiscing at the fact that my peaceful daily life, which involved heading home after school, minding my own business, sleep, and head to school the next day, has been severely interrupted. My life has been drastically changed, and all of this is the fault of this stupid Socialization app. If it weren't for this app and for the deity of my world, I wouldn't even be forced to be here. Where the hell is my freedom now? Where's my happiness now? Religion is all a lie. I don't see any salvation for me.

I sighed once again, mourning the death of my old lifestyle. Through my fatigued eyes, I gazed at the bright screen on my phone, letting it reflect off my eyes. I needed something to distract me from the desperate future that I'm forced to partake in. The main culprit of this is Mura, Muria's sister and also my neighbor.

Come to think of it, I still haven't seen her yet around my house. The only person I've seen is Muria every morning when I leave my house to commute to school. Does Mura leave super early in the morning?

"What's wrong?" I heard Irina's voice from my right side.

"Nothing," I responded, but with a quick glance in her direction and from that look on her face, I was certain that my answer wasn't enough for her. "It's... I'm mourning the loss of my childhood."

"Some big words," Muria chuckled upon hearing what I had said.

"I don't necessarily think it's that—"

I decided to not argue with Muria, allowing her to continue with that attitude of hers. To be honest, if she suddenly stopped with that way of speaking to me, I would feel so uneasy. Out of everyone in this world, only Muria can talk like that with me without me feeling any sense of discomfort. I don't know why. Maybe it's like I've always believed, it's because we hold no expectations for each other. She's the only person I could speak to without reserving too much. If it comes to who I can have a heart-to-heart with, she's the closest I got.

"—it's just that as you grow up, you have less and less freedom," I said.

"Complaining about the job forced onto you?" she smiled superciliously. "Don't worry. I'll help you out so no need to worry about that."

Her sense of superiority did not offend me. Rather, I felt quite calmed by that attitude of hers. She's someone that I can rely on, and that's the type of people that I prefer.

"Then I'll be counting on you," I responded, smiling faintly.

When I realized it, I discovered that Irina was staring at me with a somewhat odd expression on her face. I didn't know what it was that disturbed her, but I could tell that it had something to do with what I did earlier. Maybe it's out of jealousy or her competitive spirit; she doesn't want to lose to Muria?