4. if I can dream long enough, you'd tell me I'd be just fine

Fighting with Loki was the last thing y/n wanted, but sometimes, things just got out of control. It was all the same old shit repeating itself over and over again and tonight, after the God of Mischief almost got himself killed, y/n determined she needed to bring the subject to surface even though it'd surely lead to another heated argument, she couldn't be more right.

"You don't trust me" Loki gave her that sarcasm smile, twirling the dagger in his hand. The almost useless dagger that was no better than a butter knife. It helped nothing at all when one of the enemies got the upper hand. He could have died, if it wasn't for Thor saving him just in time.

"It's not about trust and you know that. You continue using that dagger as your only weapon and it'd get you killed one day!"

"Then I'd finally free from you judging and controlling me everyday!" Loki shut his mouth once he realized what he was saying, but it was too late. Tear fell down y/n's cheek. The truth was she couldn't bear the thoughts of losing him. When she saw Loki on the ground with that man on top of him, ready to blow his brain off with the gun in his hand this evening, she never felt so scared. Loki was her lover, her best friend, her entire world, her everything. How could he say those words?

"Y/n, I-"

"No! Don't" She took a step backward once he took a step forward to try to reach her. She wouldn't let him touch her, couldn't

"You know I didn't mean it. Just hear me out-"

"I've heard enough, Loki, please get out" She gave him the saddest smile he have ever seen. Her eyes red and puffy.

"Y/n-"

"Just get out!" She cut him off, hugging herself and looking at anywhere but at him. Did he have any idea how much it pained her to hear him say those cruel words? She cared about him, worried sick that he'd get hurt but he took all of it as some sort of... controlling freak.

Loki's lips parted, but he didn't know what to say. He wasn't good at this, obviously. The God of Mischief could count on the fingers of one hand the number of people who truly cared about him since he'd been born: Frigga, Thor, y/n and that was it. That's why he never knew how to act around those who loved him. So he tended to push everyone away. A loud sigh left his mouth. His shoulders dropped, his eyes everywhere but at her. The fact both of them had their eyes everywhere but at each other helped covering one another to see tears accumulating in their orbs so well. Moment had passed and Loki shook his head slightly before turned around and walked away.

Only when y/n was sure she was alone, she stopped holding back all those tears, letting the salt liquid pour down her eyes and grotesque sobs left her throat. She hated fighting with Loki, especially over such silly topic. What's with him and his stupid dagger? Why couldn't he just get rid of it and get himself something that could protect him in battles? This was so stupid.

  ✖✖✖

The tension went on between the two, and it didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the Avengers, Thor in general. He knew his brother well and he was close with y/n, so he knew there was definitely something going on. They were always inseparable that it was the most usual thing to see y/n cuddling with Loki on their love seat either watching TV or reading, but now, avoiding each other seemed to be their priority, let alone a conversation.

"Loki and I are going for a mission. Terrorist attack around downtown. Wanna come?" Thor asked even though he already saw the answer coming a mile away. It's been almost a week and every time a task included Loki as a part of it, y/n would always find her excuse. She wasn't sure whether the main factor was because the unfinished fight or the fear of him eventually getting injured - or worse - due to the bad taste his weapon-choice.