thirty-seven

||CHAPTER 37||
《¤》

"Usne sab contract ke liye kiya hai. Maanyata ko jaal mein phasaya hai- Maanyata ye samjhna nahi chahthi hai."

"Par aapko aisa kyoo lagta hai Nani?"

"Kyoo-ki Oberoi hamesha se Yatis se muqabala karte aye hai. Fir woh achanak kyoo Maanyata ke liye pagal ho jayega?"

I paused the recording which had the unknown secrets related to the wedding, watching my grandmother on her bed.

She was sleeping peacefully.

Because she didn't know what she had revealed to me.

I don't think I've ever cried because of her. But now, my tears were unstoppable.

In her drunk stupour, she had managed to get her angst against Raman Oberoi clear to me. For once, maybe, we were on the same team.

And now, I knew why my mother was doing what she was doing. There wasn't any clear way out of the mess.

I really love your mother.

Isn't that what Mr. Oberoi had said while signing the papers? What kind of world were they living in?

What kind of world was I getting myself into?

It was 3 a.m. now. In seven hours, I'd be back in Delhi, handing this recording to my father. I had to.

But, for some weird reason, I didn't want to.

Wiping my tears, I stood up from my Naani's bed, and pulled open the drawers that had her medicines. I placed a Crocin and a glass of water on her bedside table, and walked out of the room.

My room was on the first floor. I had lived in this house for seven years, and it had been my safe haven for a long time, if you didn't consider my Naani's and my mother's constant pestering.

The door was unlocked, which was unusual for a room which hadn't been opened for four months. I turned the knob, and entered the wooden laminated floors, switching on the lights just in time to spot Aryan Oberoi sitting on my desk, his legs dangling like it was a bright day and amazing weather.

I would have been shocked, but this wasn't something out of the ordinary.

"Sup' Vika Darling? Hame dekh kar khush nahi hui?"

I settled myself on my bed. "Tumhara Romeo idhar aane wala hai kya?"

He blushed. I smirked.

"You are lucky is ghar me tumhari Naani ke alawa koi nahi rehtha. Warna tumhara murder mere Romeo se hi karwata."

I presented him with a wide grin.

"He's asleep, by the way. So shut up," he informed me. "Bastard didn't come to the fuc|<ing party."

"Some one seems angry, huh?" I shrugged, nonchalantly.

A beat of silence passed, before he cleared his throat.

"Thank you, Vika."

When I frowned at him, he explained further. "Thanks, for not telling anyone."

I brought my knees up, resting my chin on them. Didn't reply. What was I supposed to say, anyway?