Chapter Nine

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Nine

I don't know how I survived spending so many months stuck inside hospital

I don't know how I survived spending so many months stuck inside hospital. I scarified so much time of fun and friendship.

"Which ride do we want to go on first?" I've scanned the funfair countless times already- but I'm doing it again. It's like a refreshing breath from Lacewood. I feel like a child again where I have no stress sitting on my shoulders to hold me back.

"What about that?" William points to our right where the dodgem cars are. "Start easy, then move onto the big guns?" He means so that we have time to let the food settle.

Dodgem cars are the closest thing I'll get to driving a car. I smile at them and wonder how ridiculous three teenagers would go alongside little kids. Jake and William will barely fit, but myself being the size of a child- would have no problems.

I nod at William's suggestion. "Bumper cars will always be the best thing at a show ground." Jake slides his hands into his pockets while we walk towards them. Towards a line of kids and occasionally teenager.

We put our money together and bought as many tickets we could for rides. Which happened to be a lot of bright yellow tickets that William had a hold on. He trusts Jake and I to loose them.

The line is isn't as long as I expected, thankfully, so the three of us could go in next round with everyone else in front. We are standouts considering the boys height. Most of the people are age are screaming on the terrifying rides that soar into the sky.

Some time later the current group of people in the ring climb out of their buggy and leave with smiles on their faces as they run to their friends side. At least one kid is rubbing their neck with whiplash.

William hands the man working there our tickets and we climb the stairs into the space, ignoring the questionable look from the worker that wonders why we're more excited than the kids.

I race over the baby blue car, beating all the strangers, Jake, and William- securing the best looking bumper car. I would race a ten year old child if I have to in order to have the best car.

I stick my tongue out at the boys, and they shoot dirty looks at me. I smile in triumph as I place my hands on the black leather steering wheel, and place my foot ready on the pedal. Seems easy enough.

The man operating the rink repeats the rules and safety instructions, but I ignore them. My eyes are burning into the back of Jake's and William's red and green cars.

"And go!" The instructor calls, and immediately I slam my foot on the pedal, which makes me jerk back from the outburst of speed. I hadn't expected the tiny cars to be so violent. No wonder that poor kid had whiplash.