14: If your dad's a cop, tell him

"I don't think it's a good idea to eat here," I murmured as we sat down in a booth.

My dad gave me an odd look while my mother flicked her hand dismissively. "Nonsense, we're already here," she scoffed.

I took a glance at the restaurant, looking for a certain someone.

I mean, what were the odds that he'd serve us?

"Hello, my name is Mason and I'll be your waiter tonight."

I guess it was a really big chance.

"Oh, look, Morgan, it's your friend!" My mom exclaimed as she waved her hand around my face, as if I hadn't noticed him.

I averted my gaze from Mason's and coughed. "Hey, Mason."

We hadn't talked since that day. We avoided each other at school and eventually things went back to the way they were before a very drunken Mason came into my room. Well, as normal as they could get with Dee poking at me to tell her what had happened.

"Morgan. . ." He trailed off, "Mr. and Mrs. . ." Mason trailed off waiting for someone to fill in the spot.

That fucker had never even bothered to learn my last name! I had seen his dick and he hadn't even taken the time to learn my name!

"Collins," my dad filled in and finally looked up from his phone. His nonchalant expression turned into a scowl as he took Mason in.

"Hunter," he growled.

For the first time ever, worry flashed through Mason's golden eyes. It was gone as quick as it came but I had noticed it.

"Officer Collins, it's always a pleasure seeing you," Mason said, although I doubt it was sincere. 

"You two know each other?" My mom raised her eyebrow questioningly.

"Unfortunately," he snarled. My mom gave my dad a look of annoyance at his short answer and sighed.

"Can I talk to you for a second, Morgan?" Mason asked, earning a suspicious look from my dad.

"Don't try anything funny."

"Your dad is a fucking cop," he hissed once we were away from the table, "wait, no, not a fucking cop, but the cop that put me in juvie, Morgan. Juvie. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think it'd be something you needed to know," I raised my eyebrow at his outburst. He sure kept a cool façade around other people but right now he looked extremely nervous.

"Are you shitting me? It is when I'm the delinquent who kissed his daughter in his house. Oh, fuck, I wore his clothes, his fucking clothes, Morga—"

I put my hand on his mouth and he quickly shut up. Mason's eyes were wide and he was breathing hard.

Mason was never like this. He wasn't even this freaked out when he was getting his ass beat.

"Calm down, Mason. I bet my dad doesn't even hate you, he's just a bit cranky today," I tried to calm him down but he just narrowed his eyes and pulled my hand back.

"I broke his nose," Mason stated, giving me a daring look.

"That was you?" I questioned as my brows knitted together in a frown.

Mason sighed and looked down at his shoes. "I was sent to juvie and my social worker had to bust me out weeks later," he shrugged, "but to be fair he grabbed onto me first."

I pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration and shook my head. "Just take our order and ignore him. It'll be fine, he won't know."

Mason nodded slowly and we made our way back to the booth. My dad was tapping his fingers in frustration.