$2

Jade showed me the ropes of just about everything, from the equipment the artists used to handling weird costumers to putting appointments into the database. The girl was nice but she talked way too much and something about her just seemed a little off. Let’s just say she wasn’t the brightest crayon in the box. She reminded me of a talkative little girl because she never shut up and she had some of the weirdest most bizarre stories to tell. She over exaggerated on just about everything.

By noon I was tired. I began moving at a slower pace every time one of the artists asked me to do something. How did Jade manage to do this job before I came? Scheduling appointments, running back and forth to satisfy the artists, talking to customers, managing money and cleaning the place was a big all day job. The worst part was that the shop stayed open from 8 AM to 10 PM. I had to look forward to fourteen hours of work each day. That seemed nearly impossible. Listening to Jersey yell for fourteen hours and then having to listen to her after work, too? The next few months of my life were going to be a living hell.

“Excuse me,” a woman said, snapping me right out of my thoughts. I was sitting down in the office chair spinning around like a little kid as I let my mind run free. I’m sure the woman thought I was a psycho or something. “I have an appointment at 12:30 with Jersey.” The lady was about in her early 20s. She wore sweatpants with a loose tank top. I was guessing she was a college student or something. “I’m Candice James.” She slipped me a paper that had all of her appointment’s information on it. From what I saw, Candice was very nervous. Her fingers were trembling, and she couldn’t manage to hold eye contact with me.

“Is this your first tattoo,” I pried. From the way she was looking around, and wincing every time she heard someone getting tattooed groan, I could tell she was a newbie. Plus, no tattoos were visible on her body.

“Yes, actually. Do you have any?” Candice looked at me with hopeful eyes. She probably wanted me to give her advice for a first timer, but I didn’t know what to tell her. I’ve always thought about getting a tattoo, but never got one. If Candice wanted advice she was asking the wrong person. I looked behind my desk to see if I could locate Jade. She could definitely level this girl out. “I don’t mean to be a nuisance.”

I turned back around to the nervous girl when I didn’t see Jade in my sights. “No, you’re not being a nuisance. It’s just that I’ve never gotten a tattoo, and today’s actually my first time working here so I’m afraid I won’t be able to help you much.” Candice frowned and stuffed her hands into the pockets of her sweatpants. My eyebrow twitched as I felt some type of sympathy for the girl. “If you’re scared, I can reschedule you for another day.”

Candice gave me a soft smile before shaking her head. “No, I’ll just have to suck it up. I’ll be fine.”

Standing up from my desk, I smiled warmly at Candice. “I’ll go get Jersey. Until then, you should have a seat on the couch. But, if you don’t mind me asking…what are you getting tattooed?” The question may have been somewhat personal, or nosey but I really wanted to know.

“Courage the Cowardly Dog.” I snickered a bit when she told me what she was getting tattooed. I thought maybe she was getting something important, or something sentimental like a quote, or a portrait of a loved one that passed way. Not Courage the freaking Cowardly Dog. “I know it’s silly, and I know it’s going to be there the rest of my life, but I really liked the show when I was younger. And I don’t know if you can tell, but I’m not very courageous. So, Courage and I have some similarities.”

So, you’re getting him tattooed on you for the rest of your life? Who am I kidding? Who am I to judge? I dated Nicky and she had a load of stupid tattoos. All Nicky’s tattoos were poorly done because they were done by her cousin who did tattoos in his house. On her right arm, Nicky had a tattoo of Bugs Bunny, but instead of a bunny the tattoo looked like a rabid dog. I didn’t see the point of people getting tattoos without meanings. I think it’s quite reckless and stupid. “I’m going to get Jersey,” I told the customer before walking away.