Chapter 23: Adrenaline

I stepped into the elevator across from Connor, and watched as he pulled out a quarter and began spinning it on his fingertips. The elevator doors closed, and we went our seperate ways.

I headed up to the 47th floor. "Where did they end up?" I asked an officer near the elevator.

"Over here," He explained, leading us off to a small utility room.

"It's 27 degrees farenheight in here," I announced. Lance zipped up his coat quickly, and he shivered and saw the snow. The snow was piling up in a hole next to the window. I walked over to the glass hole, and touched the edge with my finger.

"Laser saw. These cuts are incredibly precise. Not to mention, this is a perfect circle. This is obviously an android's handiwork."

I looked out of the hole and saw a scaffold below.

"They scaled the building using ropes from the scaffolding," I explained. I hopped down onto the scaffold.

"Holy shit! Don't die, Charlotte," Lance said, suddenly racing towards me.

"I won't, Nick."

I looked at the ropes, and as I walked towards them, the scaffold teetered.

"They only took from this side. The scaffold is unbalanced. Two ropes are missing..." I explained. "Two of them scaled the building, but only one of them bypassed security."

I got closer to the rope and the scaffold moved again.

"I am begging you, Charlotte. Christen would murder me if you died," Nick begged.

"I won't," I responded.

"And how many of then were upstairs at the broadcast?" I asked the other officer.

"Around 3. Maybe 4," the officer answered.

The scaffold moved again, more harshly now, as I moved to the center. Nick sighed deeply. "

"Give me a hand back up, Deputy Lance," I said extending my hand. As he took it and grabbed onto my arm, the rope holding up the scaffold snapped. The scaffold fell to one side.

"Huh," I remarked.

"Holy shit, Charlotte! Give me your other arm!" He said extending his other hand.

"Give me a fucking hand here!" He called out to the officers. One of them helped pull me up through the hole, and another grabbed onto the Deputy's legs and he pulled me up.

I climbed in through the broken glass, and everyone collapsed onto one another. I stood up and brushed myself off, before helping Deputy Lance up.

"Told you I wouldn't die, Nick," I responded.

"Oh my God...do you count as a woman or as an android because I REALLY want to slap you right now!" Lance said pacing.

I peeked out of the hole and watched as the scaffold completely broke and feel 47 stories to the ground.

"I...feel a bit sick," I said. A pounding headache, in fact. I only feel a slight headache when I receive an update from Cyberlife, but this...this is pounding, terrible, and unbearable.

"It's Connor," I explained, as I rushed towards the elevator.