They've Changed

The Teiko Middle School basketball club.

An incredibly strong team with over a hundred members and three consecutive championship wins. Amongst their brilliant record, the generation of five prodigies was known as the ‘Generation of Miracles’ – a generation of five players possessing a talent that one would only see once in ten years. 

However, there was a strange rumour concerning the Generation of Miracles.

Despite being relatively unknown and lacking a game record, there was one more member recognised by the five prodigies, and whom they acknowledged as a better player.

A Phantom Sixth Player. 

* * * *

“But damn, I didn’t expect for Tamaki to be hiding such an ability.” Koganei Shinji commented as he stepped out of the gym with the other juniors (second years), even as the coach Aida Riko locked up the gym behind them. “No wonder she’s called the phantom sixth player.”

The basketball team’s captain, Hyuuga Junpei, pushed the glasses that he was wearing up his nose. “I’ve heard rumours of the phantom sixth player of Teiko when I was still in middle school, but I didn’t think that it’s true,” he commented. He then grinned. “Well, they’ll be reliable enough as allies – Tamaki and Kagami.”

That day was the first ever official practice of Seirin High’s basketball club.

The ‘practice’ held by Riko after the recruitment drive on the first day of the new school year didn’t really count, as it is more like an ice-breaker kind of thing when the juniors and freshmen get to know each other, and also for the student coach to see the players’ potential.

Riko was startled nearly out of her skin that day when a girl with light blue hair that just reaches a little past her shoulders had appeared from out of nowhere in front of her, introducing herself as Kuroko Tamaki, the player that Riko had eagerly been waiting for, seeing as how she had came from the legendary Teiko basketball team, and being a girl to boot.

Teiko Middle School’s basketball team had quite a reputation, even among the high school circle.

They’ve first started out as a normal middle school basketball team three years ago, though clinching the top spot during the Nationals. After that, going against them only seemed to get tougher. Second year had them flattening every single opposing team that went against them, with Teiko getting double or even triple the amount of points that the opposing team had clinched against them. By the time third year rolled about, there isn’t a single middle school team out there that had the guts to challenge them or even dream of getting the top spot at the Nationals. The best that they could hope for is only runner up.

Hence, when the petite-looking and skinny girl had introduced herself as Kuroko Tamaki, Riko had her doubts. How can such a weak-looking and skinny girl who looked almost as if she would be blown over by a strong wind be a member of the legendary Generation of Miracles – the famous group that is responsible for Teiko clinching three consecutive victories at the Nationals?

They soon learnt why in that day’s practice when Riko suddenly decided to pitch the freshmen against the juniors in a match. And they also soon learnt why Tamaki, a girl, is allowed to join an all boys’ team, and is also known as the sixth player of the Generation of Miracles.

From the start, Tamaki is already difficult to notice, since she can easily disappear if one isn’t looking hard enough. She merely uses that ability to her advantage during matches by circulating passes by using her misdirection ability – a magic-like technique to fool the senses of her opponents.