SIXTY SIX

outgoing call to junebug!

call ended 2:14 am

outgoing call to junebug!

call ended 2:15 am

outgoing call to junebug!

"mel, i really hope you're either bleeding out from a fatal wound or at least two thirds of uc berkeley has been burnt to the ground."

"jeez, that's what you're hoping for? 

"also, you shouldn't joke about that. sajan says he has big plans for the summer. we're all hoping he means disneyland."

"well, you better have a good excuse for calling me when i explicitly said no phone calls for the next week. i'm sort of on my—put that down, seb—honeymoon right now."

". . . i know. and i wouldn't call unless i really needed your help."

"hang on, are you in some kind of trouble, mel? is this about your connection with the mafia?"

"oh my god, for the last time i don't have mafia connections. you get one set of ninja stars from a dude and everyone just assumes."

"seb, don't touch your bandage! the doctor said no touching."

"wait, is everything okay?"

"yeah, we were just water skiing and there was a small accident."

"june ran me over! on land! she defied physics just to concuss me!"

"shut up, seb! only one person was injured!"

"water skis only hold two people!"

"exactly. i saved half the crew."

"um, never mind. i can call back another time. i'll just. . . yeah."

"whoa, wait."

"mel, what's wrong with you? your voice sounds all weird and raspy. are you sick?"

"no, i'm fine. i've just been, um, crying a lot?"

"haha, okay. so is it strep throat?"

"no, june. i've—shit—"

"oh—oh my god, mel. are you actually crying?"

"no! no—i'm. . ."

". . . yes. i'm sorry."

"mel—"

"this was a mistake. i shouldn't have called. i just wanted to hear your voice."

"mel, don't you dare hang up."

"seb, i have to go. . . yes, just get out of here for a second and give us some privacy, you nosy bastard. just go! it's mel!"

". . . fine you can get shaved ice. here's five dollars. mhm. okay. bye, i love you!"

"okay, mel. tell me, are you pregnant?"

"what? no!"

"is this a drug thing? have you become addicted to doing cheez whippits? i saw that on tv once."

"june!"

"okay, sorry. so if you aren't knocked up or doing cheez whippits, then what's going on?"