Chapter 10

Cassie's POV

Today is the day that my mother and my father really talk to each other for the first time in 17 years. I'm nervous for my mother. I have told her that if the pain of being around him is too much, that she has to tell me and we'll take a break. Right now, we're waiting for the boys to pick up Cole and, while mom looks calm, I know she freaking out. I hear her heart beat spike every once in a while and her take a deep breathe, meaning she's probably thought of Cole.

We don't have to wait for very long. Cole arrives and sits down across from my mother. He surprisingly brought his father along and this made my mom smile. I hear a very subtle intake and know that Cole is just as taken with my mothers smile.

"Lets begin, shall we?"Cole says.

"We shall. Do you have any questions." My mother says, looking him in the eye. She doesn't do this out of disrespect, but out of total respect. She bows her head a lot but I know that she's excited to be able to look someone in the eyes.

"Why did you keep her from me." He more demands than asks which earns him a glare from me. He acknowledges the glare with a wince but mom answers as if she didn't even hear a command.

"I tried. Many times. Every time I tried to a piercing pain shot through me. I couldn't even move for two hours after. I went to the doctor twice after it happened. They witnessed the pains but could never decipher what was the cause. I had I once when I was pregnant and avoided that happening again. I tried again a little after I had Cassie and the pain was worse. I tried to ignore it but it got too bad and I was hospitalized once.  I had figured out that it happened when I tried to tell you and it was confirmed by the Luna several times through my own dreams and many other people. The pain was coming from trying to contract you. I had to think about my child. I really did want to tell you. I tried again every couple of years until Cassie was old enough to understand and then I let her make the decision. " My mom explains. She looks down she mentions the pains. She told me a couple of years back when I woke up from a nightmare and had felt the pains again.

"Cassie." He says to get my attention. "Why did you not want to know me."

"Don't try to use the Alpha tone on me. If you want me to answer your question, you ask it in a question format." I say with a bit of growl in my voice.

'Nice.' I hear mom snort in my head. I can feel the pride from her, grandpa, and Axe; though I'm not sure if the others noticed Axe's reaction.

"Will you please tell my why you didn't want me to know?" He asks after a moment of silence. I can feel pride coming off him at the fact that I'm not a submissive.

"You hurt my mother. By the time I was old enough to decide, I was also old enough to understand the mate bond and consequences of rejection. I knew that being around you would negatively affect my mother, so I didn't want you near her. She told me that you didn't know too much about her and I thought it would be unreasonable to reject someone before you knew them. I figured if you didn't want my mom, why would you want me. I'm very much like her. There were many reasons for not wanting you around when I was younger." I say.

"You rejected me before you knew me." He says with a slight grin tugging at his lips.

"I was 6. What's your excuse?" I say. This earns me a high five from grandpa, a snort from Axe, and smile from mom.

"I was stupid."

"Was?" I say with raised brows, feigning shock. Another high five and smile, though this time Axe begins to chuckle silently. I can feel the frustration radiating from Cole.

"Cole." My Mother says and his head snaps towards hers. "Do you have anymore questions?"

"Do you have any baby pictures?" He asks. Mom smiles and pulls out a small box from her purse.