Numb- Alphonse x Depressed!Reader

Overstimulation was a recurring problem.

Too many sounds, too many conversations, too much light, too much noise. You needed an escape from it.

Your habit of bundling up your thoughts and feelings wasn't helpful either. There was a common occurence where they reached the point where they became too much and you fell apart. Talking through them was the best way to feel better.

And then there were the periods when it felt like you felt nothing.

You loved your friends, you loved your family. You would do anything to see them smile.

So why did you feel so distant?

Why did you feel so, what's the word you were looking for?

Numb. You felt numb.

You bundled the muffled emotions up as well. You didn't feel ready to talk about these openly. Not with everyone. Not yet.

Alphonse had some similar habits. He was your boyfriend, and he took every opportunity to remind you how much he loved you, holding your hand gently, and humming softly as you walked along together. You knew he couldn't feel it, his secret had long been known to you, but he still did it, and you could tell he appreciated the gesture when you went out of your way to place your hand on him or brush lightly against his armor.

You really hoped he didn't think his condition was the reason for your subdued responses.

It came in waves. Somes days everything felt happy and bright and you were at peace with life.

Then other days, the hard days, nothing felt worth doing.

Alphonse was more perceptive than people gave him credit for.

On the hard days, he would do a lot of little things. Tracing his fingers over your hand, faintly humming that song he knew you both liked. On the extra hard days he would sneak an animal in his armor to show you, despite his brother's rage.

It made you smile, and you knew he could tell something was up.

The sound of rain was a great way to bring you down from overstimulation. Too much noise, rain drowned it all out. Too many bright lights and people, the inside of Al's armor blocked that out, and he didn't mind much.

He always held quiet conversation if you wanted to talk, or let the comfortable silence linger if you didn't. Either way, you were glad to have him there with you.

On one of these rainy days inside the armor, as you sat listening to the precipitation pitter patter against the metal of your boyfriend, you made a decision.

It was time to talk.

"Alphonse?" Your voice echoed.

"Yes, (Y/n)," his voice was gentle, as it always was with you.

You hesitated a moment, gathering your thoughts.

"Do you know what depression is?"

He hummed slightly, puzzled but not entirely confused.

"Kinda, it's like being sad, but kinda different I think?"

"Yeah, it's more like, apathy kinda," you answer back.

"It's a mental health thing, right?"

"Yeah, it's got some scientific explanation to it. Serotonin deficiency."

"That's the chemical that makes people feel happy, isn't it?" He asks.

"Yeah, that's exactly what it is."