thirty-nine

AMARA

"When is he coming?" Harry directed his question to Louis, who shrugged his shoulders while eating a bag of Dorito's.

"He didn't say," Louis spoke with his mouth full of chips, making me grimace and Harry grunt out of disgust.

"Who?" I looked at Harry, hoping I wouldn't see Louis talking with a mouthful ever again.

"Louis knows a tech guy that can help break through the apartment complex's security camera's that may show the person who shot you. They would've erased the clip of them shooting you, but we're hoping they accidentally left a frame that shows them," Harry explained, a knock on the door coming straight after.

"Hey mate!" Louis greeted him after the door was opened, doing a little man shake with the brunette man. He looked to be in his mid 20's, brunette hair messy and striking blue eyes to match. I would've found him attractive a couple months ago, but a certain Harry Styles had topped up my expectations.

"This is Harry," Louis introduced Harry to the man, their hands meeting in a shake. "Zayn, and Amara," Louis then gestured to Zayn and I, who were standing awkwardly to the side.

"I'm Isaac," the man spoke, his tone friendly as he shook Zayn's hand, before taking mine. I felt my face flush as he raised my hand to his lips, placing a small kiss on the back of my hand. "I wasn't told there would be a pretty lady joining us."

"That's because she won't be," Harry spat, his hand grabbing my free one and dragging me down the hall. I heard Zayn and Louis snicker as we walked away, before my body was gently pushed into a room.

"This is our room, stay in here for a bit, yeah?" Harry went to close the door, stopping when my hand held it open.

"I want to stay out there."

"Amara," Harry sighed, rubbing his temple with a stressed look. I didn't let him talk further, shoving past him to walk back to the kitchen. Harry mumbled curse words behind me as we walked back to the trio, his hand resting on my back when we stopped.

"Okaaaay, you can set up here Isaac," Louis clicked his tongue while walking to the couch, sitting down on it as Isaac pulled out a laptop. I zoned out as many other electronic devices were pulled out, growing bored. Harry's touch burned into my back, and I knew that he didn't trust Isaac being here with us at all.

"What am I looking for?" Isaac lifted his head after all his equipment was set up, the apartment complex's system already pulled up on the laptop. Everyone's eyes drifted to me, waiting for me to describe the man.

"He wore all black, jeans and a hoodie, uh, I couldn't see his face due to his hoodie masking it, he was about Zayn's height," I explained, shivering as the man's face flashed through my memory.

"I'll work with what I have," Isaac smiled, the sound of Harry clearing his throat next to me making Isaac begin. It seemed like hours until Isaac sat up, moving the screen so everyone could see it.

"There's your guy," Isaac pointed on three frames, the man's face covered by the shadow of his hoodie. You could make out the shape of his jaw, but that's about it. I sighed in disappointment as nothing stood out, meaning we're still at square one.

"Nothing," Zayn huffed loudly, running his hands down his face. Louis let out an aggravated noise, leaning back on the couch.

"No," Harry shook his head as he leaned closer to the screen, his eyes squinting slightly. "Can you zoom in to his neck?" Harry requested, pointing to the spot where his neck met his shoulders. Isaac moved the mouse around, clicking on the keyboard, the image expanding across the screen.

"There," Harry pointed to the zoomed in image, a spot on the man's neck standing out. It was a tattoo, a familiar tattoo.

"Oh my god," I muttered, stepping closer to get a better look at the image. The three lines were a tattoo that a certain gang would get to dedicate themselves to that gang. My mother had it, as well as my dad. He worked for my parents.

"What?" Zayn asked confusedly, everyone's eyes viewing the tattoo. "What does it mean?"

"It's my parents gang tattoo," I choked out, confusion coursing through me. Why were people from my parents gang after me? First Rex, and now this guy? They were willing to betray their own gang, for what? Me?

"That doesn't make sense," Zayn muttered, sounding as confused as me. Louis and Harry were awfully quiet during the whole thing, my eyes drifting to the pair. They were looking at eachother, tearing their eye contact when I noticed.

"Have you contacted my parents lately? Thy need to know about this, maybe they can recognise him," I grabbed Harry's shirt in my fist, his face becoming nervous as he ignored me. "Harry?"

"I can't contact them," Harry sighed, his hand running through his hair stressfully. I took a step back, frowning at him. "I lost contact with them."

"When?" I gasped, my eyes widening. Why hadn't he told me?

"A couple weeks ago."

"Why are you just telling me now!" I raised my voice at him, noticing him flinch at my tone. How could he keep this from me? It explains why he's been acting strange and keeping secrets lately, but who's he been sneaking off to speak with on the phone?

"I knew you'd stress, like you are now! It's not that big of a deal, they're probably just in hiding like us," Harry reached out for my arm, making me pull it out of reach. His face flashed hurt as I stepped away from him.

"They could be dead," I spat, glaring at him from across the room. I gasped loudly as I looked at Louis, his face holding guilt. "You knew too." His expression gave it away, making me angry that they both kept it from me for so long.

I rushed into the room from before, slamming the door closed. The wall shook from the impact, my legs pacing up and down across the room. My breathing fastened as I thought about my parents, were they still alive? If Harry couldn't contact them, they could surely be dead. My dad would never go this long without talking to me.

I ignored the knock on the door, continuing my pacing as the person banged on the locked door.

"Fuck off, Harry!" I yelled, grabbing my head as it pounded. I heard Harry telling me to unlock the door from the other side, beginning to feel lightheaded. I felt my knees buckle as my head grinded, falling onto my knees. I felt my elbow hit the floor as I fell, my head slamming into the wooden floorboards.