15 | Talkin' 'Bout The Car Wash

Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.

JAMIE: (Sent a photo)
Thoughts.

ROSALIE: ??? Are those FLORAL PRINTED SLACKS?

JAMIE: (Sent a photo)
It came with a peacock blazer.

ROSALIE: Yes to the pants, no to the peacock

JAMIE: LAME the peacock pulls the whole LOOK together

ROSALIE: I will absolutely NOT agree to the peacock blazer
but I will 100% agree to the floral printed slacks

JAMIE: Ok fine I can work with that.
Red and black then?

ROSALIE: Yeah that sounds good.

***

Lu brought her stereo to Bradshaw Saturday morning, and Brynn was the first to hook up her phone. Ray was already groaning before Brynn even cycled through her designated playlist, and the instant Rose Royce came on the speakers, everyone was doing the same. Brynn smiled diabolically from beside the brat fry stand, wiggling her eyebrows at the crowd of soccer players.

They picked a surprisingly warm day for the car wash, and it was all by pure luck. The temperature teetered around the high sixties—sunny, with little to no breeze. Rosalie couldn't have felt more blessed for it. The previous year they stuck themselves with a chilly morning and even chillier water for cleaning cars.

"Talkin' 'bout the car wash, YEAH!" Brynn sang with a shimmy of her shoulders, sidling up to a disinterested Alyssa. Alyssa rolled her eyes, twisting a finger through her sleek blonde hair. She glanced over at Rosalie, who shrugged and offered an apologetic smile.

"I did not ask for the classics," Alyssa said. "What happened to real music?"

Brynn feigned horror before Lu backed her up. "I never thought you had great taste anyways, Alyssa."

Alyssa's jaw dropped, and Ray clapped her hands with a laugh. It was at that time that their first customer rolled up.

The thing about living in Montgomery County, and attending a private high school, was that parents tended to buy expensive cars for their kids, and even more expensive cars for themselves. The car wash was always a success because of Montgomery's avid love for fancy vehicles that Rosalie just couldn't wrap her head around. The fact that they entrusted a bunch of high school girls to do their cars justice was just out of the question—they mostly did it to show off their Mercedes and Lamborghinis in a row of other crazy cars.

As the girls readied their cleaning weapons, the driver stepped out and went to the brat fry. Rosalie watched after him before turning to Juliana with a discreet, "Cha-ching!" action.

The car wash happened every year. It was a sort of... Girls Soccer Team Thing, which also meant that it was a Sports Thing in general. The boys team had a whole pizza fundraiser, and the theatre and choir kids had their whole concert raffle fundraiser. The football guys had their chocolates and scratch offs and what-have-you. Rosalie didn't pay much attention other than to ensure the success of her own fundraisers against theirs.

Ray and Juliana had spent Friday night at the Mason residence in a makeshift assembly line. All their advertisement signs were made then, and were now in the hands of the first years Kim Simons, Erin McAllister, and Jordan Sakamoto. The three of them twirled them out in the center, grassy knoll of the boulevard. Jordan tossed hers into the air, and spun around to try catching it from behind. She failed miserably, much to the amusement of Kim and Erin.