6: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 6

The atmosphere of the café was friendly but buzzing at the same time. It seemed like the customers came into the café tonight to see the open-mic night performers because all of the table were filled with people and the booths were crammed leaving a ton of people just standing around watching the show.

I moved around slightly heading closer to the counter and a bit closer to the stage so I could see Jett a little clearer. I settled myself up against the wall beside the cash register before looking up at the stage

Jett was currently on stage, sitting on a stool in front of a microphone adjusting his guitar. I always thought that he had an electric guitar but he really was carrying around a classic acoustic guitar that showed evidence of hard work and old age on its body.

After a couple of seconds Jett looked comfortable up on stage and took a hold of the mic. “Hi, my name’s Jett as some of you may know and I’m just going to perform two songs for you tonight. I hope you like them.” he said and the audience clapped with applause, cheering him on with encouragement.

He started to strum on his guitar strings and I slowly started to recognize the song he was playing. Even though it wasn’t originally sung by a guy, Jett decided to play ‘The One That Got Away’ by Katy Perry in an acoustic style.

In another life

I would be your boy

We’d keep all our promises

Be us against the world

In another life

I would make you stay

So I don’t have to say you were

The one that got away

Jett had changed the lyrics slightly to make it sound like it was a guy singing a love song about a girl he liked and he sounded amazing. I had never heard him sing before and I’m really glad I was hearing him now.

All this money can’t buy me a time machine, no

Can’t replace you with a million rings

I should’ve told you what you meant to me

Cause now I pay the price…

As he was finishing the song I looked around the café to see that a lot of the audience was actually tapping their feet to the beat of his guitar or lip singing along to the song. I would’ve liked to sing along but he changed the tempo so much that I wouldn’t have known when to sing which lyric, but that was okay with me since I was fine with just listening to Jett’s voice.