Epilogue

Exactly two years and five days after the death of my father, Cain Alexander Deveraux was born.

He had my brown hair and Adam's brilliant blue eyes.

That, however, was where the similarities ended.

Cain was born a Vampire, yet he was also still a Lycanthrope; a hybrid, as Dr. Zosak had called him.

He was the first of his kind.

Although he was certainly one of a kind, Adam and I raised him normally. We didn't know how else to.

As he grew, he began to turn into one of the most temperamental people I had ever met. Cain was smart, cunning even. He was strong and healthy. But, when watching him closely, I could see the fire within him.

It scared me.

One day, I heard he and Adam talking to each other as I walked past Adam's office.

Adam was attempting to explain to the four-year-old the duties that he had as Alpha. Cain couldn't seem to understand why his father worked with other Alphas instead of working by himself.

"Well," Adam explained, "we all work as a team. I can't rule the whole world by myself."

Cain was quiet for a few moments. 

"I will when I become Alpha," he said firmly.

Adam laughed.

"I'm sure you will," he said. "Now, go get ready for bed."

I opened the door to the office as Cain ran past me to his bedroom.

"Does he not worry you?" I asked Adam.

Adam shook his head. 

"Does he worry you?" he asked. 

I nodded.

"How many other four-year-olds do you know that talk about world domination?"

He shrugged, laughing.

"He tried to bite me yesterday," I said.

"Most toddlers bite, darling."

I shook my head.

"He worries me. He's so... barbaric."

"He listens to his instincts," Adam said, standing from his chair. "I can't imagine what it would be like to have hearing and vision the way he does."

I sighed.

"How are your plans coming along for Asia?"

He nodded.

"Pretty well, actually. It will be ours in no time."

I shook my head, laughing.

"Why can't you be happy with the land you already have?"

"I am happy with the land I already have," he said defensively. "I just want more of it."

"See, that's where Cain gets it from," I said laughing.

"What?"

"This whole idea of world domination."

He laughed.

"What can I say? I'm a role model."

I rolled my eyes as he leaned over to kiss my neck.

"You're something else, that's for sure."

"C'mon, is that the best you can do?" he asked me, his lips trailing along my jaw.

"You're stubborn and you've got an ego the size of the moon," I said.

He lifted me up onto his desk and began to unbutton my shirt.

"What else?" he asked me.

"You think you know everything. You're cunning and smart. You have the body of a god."

Adam laughed at his, his lips returning to my neck as he pulled off his own shirt.

"I think the word you're looking for is perfect," he said, his hands sliding up my skirt.

"No," I said. "That's not it..."

"Sexy?"

"No."

"Then what?"

I thought about it for a moment. 

"Primal."

Adam smiled as he pulled off his belt.

"Darling, I can show you primal..."

- - -