Chapter 7

Once my trousers were neatly folded to my satisfaction, I leave the closet and shut the door, only to jump at the sudden sound of a voice behind me. I spin on my heels, turning around to see a small girl in a pink dress, beautiful chocolate brown  hair and gorgeous green eyes. They were so captivating, I found it hard to look away.
"Who are you?"
She asks. I'm guessing that's what she said the first time and was repeating herself. In a way, I felt kinda bad that I didn't hear what she said the first time. But in my defence, I didn't even know she was there so I wasn't prepared for a voice.
"I'm the uh.. new, maid.."
I sigh, crouching down before kneeling so that I met eye to eye with her. She was so pretty and adorable. How or why would she be living  in a place like this?
"Why do you wear a mask?"
I was shocked that she asked that. I had already seen a few people here wearing masks, so you would of thought she wouldn't ask about it as she's used to seeing it everyday.
"I wear it to uh, to hide my face."
"Why hide your face?"
She asks again, tilting her head and raising her hands to try to take off my mask, but I quickly grab her wrists, holding her hands away.
"Don't do that sweetheart.. I, I want to keep it on.."
"But-!"
The girl was suddenly interrupted by another voice, one I didn't recognise. She looks over my shoulder before smiling widely, yanking her hands out of my grip and running past me. To which I stand to my feet and turn around.
"BEN!"
She squeals, wrapping her arms around the waist of the source of the voice. The one I now know as 'BEN', wore all green, including a hat. He had straight blonde hair and his ears, were very.. different. They seemed like the ears you would expect to see on a pixie, or maybe an elf?  I had a feeling I was going to see a lot more weird and mysterious things here.
"Come on Sally. It's time to go out."
He pats the girl in the head, who apparently was named 'Sally'.  Why hasn't anyone asked my name yet?... would I even tell them my real name?

Before BEN could walk away, I quickly call out to him, to which he stops and turns to look at me.
"What.. what am I meant to, uh, you know, do?"
He raises an eyebrow at me. I couldn't tell in which way it was though. Confused? Mocking? Sarcastic?
"You're a maid aren't you? What jobs do maid do?
"Well they uh.. clean"
"Then clean."
He rolls his eyes before walking away, Sally holding his hand. I couldn't believe how much of an idiot I'm being. I knew maids clean so I should have guessed that's what I'd be doing.
"Why am I even doing this? I should just leave.. manipulate these people so they can't stop me!"
"Oh I wouldn't be doing that now."
A voice spoke behind me, once again causing me to jump and turn around.
"Wouldn't be such a good idea now would it lass?"
I was stunned at what I saw. I thought BEN's ears were weird enough. But this was a new level. He wore clothes ranging of different shades of  purple and blue. Even his hair was blue, to which it was quite long, reaching down past his shoulders. Two big bells hung from his hair, one on either side, the left and the right. More bells hung from his outfit as he appeared to be dressed as some kind of jester.
"How much of what I said did you just hear?!"
"All if it! Not wanting to be a maid, planning to leave. Manipulating us! Now that's not very fair is it."
He frowns, tilting his head and leaning on one of his legs, so the other bent at the knee.
"Gosh please don't tell anyone what I said!"
I beg, bringing my hands together as if to pray, taking a step forward. I watch as he looks me up and down before leaning back and laughing loudly. What was so funny?
"Dont'cha worry lass. I won't tell a soul!"
He smiles widely, squinting his eyes. But his grin suddenly drops and his expression turns completely serious. It actually gave me a chill.
"I won't tell. Only if you can guess my name."
He states, rather bluntly. How on Earth was I meant to guess his name?! I started to sweat a little as I realised my life could be on the line if I didn't get this right. But I think he tried to give me subtle hints. Holding up a candy lolly in one hand and a balloon in the other. I glance between the two when suddenly the balloon pops. To which another one appears and pops again.
"Uhhh.. lolly pop..?"
He drops the balloon and lolly to which they fall down his sleeves. His serious expression changing to that of a cheerful grin once again.
"Close enough! Candy pop's the name!"
He gives one more big smile before wandering off behind me in the other direction.
So did that mean what I said was safe?