Chapter 6

(Y/n)'s POV

~Nightmare~

Where was I? Was this the orphanage? But I thought I escaped this place... The children passed through my body as if I was a ghost. Why? My skin was transparent, everything was.

The sky darkened, casting shadows that seemed to jump out and scare its prey. I shivered, not sure if it was because of the cold or because of some unknown fear.

"You're dead," exclaimed an unseen voice.
"W-who's there?"
"You're dead. You're no longer alive."
"I'm...dead?"
"You killed them before killing yourself, don't you remember?"

I rubbed my eyes. The scene before me had changed. Lumps and piles of bodies covered the hallways. Blood was smeared on the walls and signs of struggle was visible through the countless dents and scratches.

I stumbled backwards, falling when I tripped over a bloody corpse. My hands were painted in rich red, the colour of the victims' blood.

"Why did you do it? Revenge? Hatred? These children had families too. They loved each other like how one'd love their siblings."

T-that wasn't true. I didn't kill anyone. This wasn't m-me. A sharp pain spread from my stomach. A dagger was stabbed numerous times into my body.

"Why don't you try dying again so that you can experience the pain that these children went through?"

~Nightmare end~

I woke up with a start. What was that? It was true that I hated that orphanage but not all the children that went there. It was more the adults that had run the place.

They deserved to die. It would've been much better if they did, like my parents. The people that made me like this didn't deserve to live.

Wait, what was I thinking? I wasn't a murderer. I didn't like killing. T-that wasn't me...I could never do something like mass murder...right?

I could feel warm tears sliding down my cheeks. I forcefully wiped them away and refused to cry. I wouldn't show anyone my weakness. No one at all...

~At school the next day~

As I slowly dragged myself to class, Shiori and her group of friends surrounded me. I let them pull me to a deserted hallway, too tired from last night to do anything.

"Why do you look so gloomy?" she asked, trapping me between her body and the lockers.
"I don't need to tell you."
"Suit yourself. Just let me tell you one thing. Stay away from Mikleo, he's mine."
"...okay, I don't have any interest in him anyway."

She seemed satisfied with my answer. Catherine eyed me suspiciously before leaving with Shiori. I sighed in relief, but it was too soon to show any signs of relief.

The other few girls that hadn't left with them started beating me up. It was only kicking but it still hurt like hell. I was grateful that they didn't bother hurting my face even though it was for their own benefit.

They didn't want anyone to find out about this but I didn't either. It wasn't necessary to tell anyone about this bullying. I'd just sound like a little kid wanting attention if I complained about this to the teachers.

It was better that they beat me up. No one else needed to go through this pain. If I wasn't here, then it was obvious that they'd choose another target.

And besides, I was the only one that deserved this kind of pain. I wasn't human nor Seraphim, so what was I? Neither. I was a monster.

I coughed violently after they left. The handkerchief I had used to cover my mouth was stained in blood, my blood. Damn, they must've done some damage to my insides.

Today's bullying was worse than the others. Was it because I talked to Mikleo and Sorey? Were Shiori and Catherine really jealous? I could understand but they shouldn't be. What chance could someone like me possibly have with boys like them?

I could hear the bell ring, meaning it was the start of the first period. *sigh* The sound was so distant, so far away. I didn't know if I could even get up.

Was it worth it? My next class was just with Zaveid anyway. A pointless class that was similar to sport. The high-ups insisted that all students have it every weekday.

I should just stay here till the first period finished. It was better than trying to pretend as if nothing was wrong.

Right when I had decided to stay here resting, a figure appeared in front of me. I couldn't exactly make out their features but as soon as they kneeled down, I immediately sat up, despite the pain, and moved back.

"What are you still doing here, huh? Mr Zaveid's looking for you, saying that he won't start the class without you. Come on, you're causing trouble for everyone," Catherine said angrily.

She pulled harshly on my arm, making me stand up. I couldn't help but lean against her. She sighed heavily before angrily and reluctantly putting an arm around my waist.

"Listen, don't be like this in front of everyone else. I admit that we may have gone a little overboard with your beating but if anyone finds out, there'll be things much worse than this that we have in mind for you," she exclaimed while pulling me along.

I could only nod silently as we headed outside together. As soon as we arrived, Catherine pushed me to the side before anyone could see us. I painfully stood up without stumbling, gritting my teeth.

"Sir, I found her. She just went to the bathroom and realised that she left her uniform at home. She was too afraid to come out," Catherine lied.

It was amazing how she could just lie so easily like that. But why the hell did she have to tell such an embarrassing one? Geez...