Chapter 20

Jiwon's tears might have ceased the moment she blacked out and lost consciousness, yet the tempestuous rain seemed to empathize with her as it refused to end its parade, drenching the town with driblets Jiwon's eyes could no longer cry out.

If only he had answered.

The thought persistently perturbed Yoongi as he appeared from the doorway. His watchful gaze landed on the male doctor adjusting the roller clamp of the IV stuck to Jiwon's left hand. Yoongi looked down and averted his head sideways. Brushing a towel through his damp hair, he released a sigh. The stillness of the room was beginning to become too much for him.

"Would you like a change of towel?" asked an elderly woman as she placed a stack of neatly folded clothes on the bedside table.

Yoongi shook his head politely in response and the woman smiled at him. "I'll be outside if you need me."

At the click of the door, Yoongi drew himself closer towards the bed. Keeping his concerns to himself, he stood silently but with keen eyes. His brows knitted by a minuscule of an inch, hesitation flickering within him.

Until he finally asked in a voice soft and low, "How is she?"

"Her fever is still high," began the doctor. "But other than that, her vitals are stable. For now the IV fluids will replenish the nutrients and hydration her body needs." The doctor paused. "Mr. Min, has she been stressed lately?"

Yoongi turned to the doctor and then to Jiwon's frail body resting on his bed as if she were merely asleep, except for her unusually pale complexion and light yet labored breaths.

"Will she be needing anything else?" questioned Yoongi instead.

The doctor cleared his throat. "I suggest monitoring her food intake and see to it she gets proper sleep. In the case her fever prolongs, it'd be best to have her checked further."

Yoongi nodded thoughtfully. Thereupon discussing about Jiwon with the doctor, he requested that this matter stayed between them. Jiwon wouldn't exactly appreciate the attention and concern her condition might raise, and Yoongi knew that — another reason why he had called the housekeeper instead of his own mother.

Once the doctor had gone, Yoongi went back to the room and leaned on the wall. His eyelids felt heavy, but he couldn't stop observing her from the small distance.

"Yoongi," spoke the housekeeper and he angled his head to her direction. "Son, you should get changed or you'll also catch a cold."

Only then did it dawn on Yoongi that he was still wearing his white polo and black trousers. If not for him moving here and there, his apparel would have remained drenched until now. He checked the time on his wristwatch.

"Halmeoni," he said, "it's late. You should go now. Thank you for your help."

"Nonsense." She smiled with understanding. "I'll leave when you're done. Come on, I'll watch her," she encouraged.

Yoongi was about to decline, but the housekeeper gave him a pat on the arm before he could utter another word. He had known her since he moved into his own apartment, and grew close to her to treat her much like a family.

Knowing he could leave Jiwon to her gave him an option. Yoongi then relented with a sigh.

Exhaustion floated as the hour passed, yet Yoongi remained seated on his bed, his back pressed on the headboard. He'd glance down at her from time to time, and rest his eyes behind his heavy lids. Sleep failed to visit him, though.