Chapter 23

Saturday evening was the fall fashion show. We'd attended the year before and it was all drama and glamour. On top of the student showcase, real working designers presented. Besides being in New York, it was the closest I felt to actually tasting what we were going to achieve.

Ava and I drove the clothes over early afternoon to scope out the competition and the venue. Emily and Jane, Ava's two other models, were coming later. The music hall was downtown, the opposite side of campus from our house. Another perk of going early: we found parking spots behind the hall. From the filling lot, it looked like others had had the same idea.

The plan for the evening was simple. The student showcase went first, followed by the pros. Everyone participating in the student shows got to watch the later shows for free from the upper level.

I was reminded what a great venue it was as Ava and I walked in the front doors. The building was actually a converted brewery, and the foyer had exposed brick walls though the main concert area had been redone to improve acoustics. The main foyer could hold five hundred comfortably, and metal stairs led up either side to the second floor which allowed access to the balcony level, a catwalk that ran around the top of the space.

The foyer was already set up for the after-party, and as parties went, it would be a doozy. Trim young men and women wearing headsets were setting up pyramids of champagne glasses, touching up luxe decorations, and testing sound systems. A few seemed to be discussing a two-story wall on which a twenty-foot Fashion Falls logo was projected. A girl who looked stylish enough to be a designer herself was setting up gold gift bags to which sponsors had contributed some pretty great swag.

Tearing ourselves away from the decorations and swag bags, we made our way backstage. It was already getting busy with helpers milling about. We didn't see any other students, and the crew setting up looked professional.

Ava grabbed my hand and squeezed. I could tell the nerves were setting in. I squeezed back and readjusted the garment bag I held by a few fingers over my back.

"Remember when we came to watch this last year? I can't believe we're actually doing this," she exclaimed. "I mean, it's just the student showcase and not the real thing, but still ..."

"Ava, it's huge," I said firmly. "Don't put yourself down. This matters. For both of us."

I found us a spot in one corner where we could drop our things and a garment rack to hang the clothes. Ava brought a bag full of miscellaneous supplies, and Em, Jane, and I were each to bring our own shoes. I pulled over two chairs that had been sitting, unoccupied and unguarded, in front of lighted mirrors.

"What if everyone hates them?"

"They will love your designs. I love them. Emily and Jane love them. Your teachers love them, your friends in your program love them. I want to wear them all the time."

"Really?"

"Yes. You're going to be the next Jaime White. Just wait."

Ava took a deep breath. "Thanks, Lex. I love you."

"You too, A. You know you can do this. Now let's see if we can steal a couple of those swag bags."

An hour later, backstage was starting to fill. The other designers for the student showcase had arrived, and Emily texted to say she'd picked up Jane and would be there soon.

We'd been told there would be a team on hand to do makeup and hair. I figured I'd get it done with now so I didn't have to line up later. So, I took a seat in one of the five chairs in front of lighted mirrors.