Chapter Twelve

After being kept in the dark of what was taking place inside the Ward, Renata was becoming slightly impatient as she wished either Remus or Sirius would come out into the corridors and just tell her if James was alright

After being kept in the dark of what was taking place inside the Ward, Renata was becoming slightly impatient as she wished either Remus or Sirius would come out into the corridors and just tell her if James was alright. She had practically already chewed down her thumbnail on one hand and was definitely about to start working on the other. Harry was growing bored, no longer entertained by what was taking place outside the window, he wanted to move around, but she couldn't have him wander around St Mungo's. Some mornings were busier than others as Adelmo often claimed and it definitely seemed that morning that they were awfully busy with witches and wizards coming in, left and right. 

Not wanting to be in anyone's way, the two of them stood off to the side, but occasionally, Harry would tug at Renata's hand while looking up at her. Whenever she peered down at him, he could give the request to play, which she would attempt to do something small for his amusement but it was never enough. A hospital wasn't fun for any adults, but it was like pure torture for a child to spend a long time there.

"It's alright, Harry," she said, crouching down to Harry's eye level, " they shouldn't be much longer. Perhaps after this, we'll head to the park for a little bit, would you like that? You'll get to stretch those little legs of yours."

She gave one of his little calf muscles a small squeeze that brought Harry to giggle as he nodded his head at the idea of going to the park. Of course, he continued to look in the direction of the Ward, and while Renata assumed he was looking for James, that might have been giving the little boy too much credit. Instead, he had seen the little blonde haired boy disappear that way after the older woman he was with had pulled him along.

It was another child his age and seeing as he had so much fun with Ron the other day, he didn't see why he couldn't go off and have fun with that child as well. However, as many times as he tried to pull Renata in that direction, she refused to head over there and Harry didn't understand why. But fate decided to act on some kindness as the doors to the Ward opened and Remus returned with a small smile on his face.

Immediately, Renata stood straight up, holding a hopeful look on her expression as Remus approached them.

"Well, there's good news," Remus said as he threw his hands into the pocket of his trousers, " they're going to let James come home today."

"That's fantastic news!" Renata exclaimed as she clapped her hands together, bringing Harry to follow her actions, thinking they were about to play another game.

"However," Remus added, his voice growing quieter, " they don't want him to be alone. Especially with Harry with him. He didn't enter one of those trances again while under observation, but they can't be sure if it was a one-time thing or not. They think that in itself can be a hazard to, not only James but Harry as well."

"I could understand that," Renata nodded her head, " so is there a plan or-"

She could see that Remus was looking at her as if she was the answer to all the problems in the world, leaving her to abruptly stop talking for the time being. She could see the direction of where the conversation was about to go and Remus looked positively nervous about how she was going to react. With a hard swallow, Renata glanced around for a second, rubbing her own hands together nervously before reaching out and grabbing Harry's hand before he got any ideas to dart off and find something fun to do.