Chapter 2 - Lost Words

"LISTEN UP! THE ASSAULT WILL NOW BEGIN! ALL YOU SOLDIERS KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE LOSE, SO MAKE SURE TO SHOW NO MERCY! LETS FINISH THIS WAR RIGHT NOW!"

Just before the assault our commander gave us another quick speech to get us started. We are currently in a large field with no trees and some spots of grass. Everything else is burnt land full of holes and corpses with blood splattered everywhere. The war began as soon as we reached the field. Knights charged into battle leading footmen behind them. Battle mages and support magicians were stationed at the back lines protected by some archers. Their King and his subordinates were also in the front lines fighting for their people. Slaying our soldiers in large numbers singlehandedly like stepping on ants.

Everything was going well for us, their numbers were dropping like flies, most of their high ranked men were killed by our assassins. But once we heard a shout from one of our archmages... everything went to hell.

"THE ENEMY IS LAUNCHING A SIXTH TIER AREA SPELL! SUPPORT! RAISE THE BARRIERS! EVERYONE ELSE FALL BACK!"

It was at that moment that we knew... we were dead.

We looked up to the sky to see a shower of small meteors raining down towards us. There was no escape.

Then I realized...

"GENA!!" I need to save her.

I can't let her die. She's probably going to try to protect me, I can't let her die for my sake. If I can get to her, I could convince her... no I can't, there's not enough time! Why? Why did this have to happen now of all times. Gena doesn't know how to use barrier spells on multiple people at the same time, she is more proficient in healing them instead. She can use up to seventh tier light magic but it won't help you if you don't even know the spell. After all she only discovered her talent a couple of weeks ago.

But it was too late. Not because the meteors had reached us, but because she already casted the spell on me. I was stuck inside a dome of light that I couldn't get out from.

"GENA! DON'T DO THIS! PROTECT YOURSELF INSTEAD! I'LL BE FINE!" I couldn't help but start crying. She walked up to me and put her hand on the dome.

"No you won't, I know that you'll die if I leave you alone. This barrier may not protect you completely, but it'll raise your chances of survival. I poured in all of my magic power into it. So I'll feel better knowing you're safe." She said as she smiled with tears on her eyes.

"No... but... you..." I stared at her, I didn't know what to say. I'm here being protected by her with no other choice, I can't do anything but cry as I stare at her sacrificing herself just so that I have a chance of survival.

"Dessyr, I-" I feel a shockwave from a meteor and all I can see are Gena's lips moving with no words coming out. After that I lost consciousness. When I woke up, I was in a dark room.

"Where... am I?" I muttered as I move my head around. I couldn't see anything, the only way I knew I was awake was because I could feel a burning sensation on my chest. It must be from the spell, it must have broken through the barrier and killed me.

"You're in my domain." I hear a lady's voice as the darkness quickly fades away and a lady comes into view.

She has extremely pale skin with pitch black hair that sways around easily with curls at the bottom. She has black eyes and her eyes are sharp, like she's staring into your soul, they can make people nervous if you're caught off-guard but they also have a strange attraction towards them. She wears a black colored dress with a white circle design. Almost like the dark moon. But she also has some inhumane looks. She has bone jewelry on her such as necklaces, earrings, and even bracelets. But the things that caught my eye first, were the horns on top of her head.

"Who are you?" I ask her as she sits down in a chair in front of me. Wait, where did that chair come from?

"Isn't it obvious?" She asks and smiles at me deviously, "I am the goddess of death, and your mother."

"..." I'm sorry WHAT did she just say. "Hi ma'am, you see I think I heard you say something completely crazy just now that I'm pretty sure you might be insane, would you like some help, if you just need someone to talk to I am all ears."

"No, I am not insane, like I said you a-"

"I see, it's a very severe case, it seems that staying in this dark room has made you a bit coo in the head, I think this might be out of my domain, we need a professional, maybe I can find so-"

"LET ME SPEAK!" She yelled as she was irritated by me.

"yes.."

"As I was saying, I am your mother an-"

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!! BUT YOUEE NOT EVEN WEARING A WEIRD HELMET OR CUTTING MY HAND OFF!!"

"LET ME SPEAK YOU DISRESPECTFUL BRAT!"

"I'm sorry... I-it's just hard to believe that my mother is a lady with black horns that lives in a dark room." I say rapidly in a quiet voice.

"I will explain everything as soon as you stop interrupting me!" She says as she grinds her teeth.

"I am your mother, and I am also the dragon goddess of death, Modra. You see when you were born between me and a mortal, you could not be raised by us, so we gave you to a small and loving family. I gave them two necklaces, a dark moon and a silver sun to give to you once you reach a certain age and get a best friend. If you want to know how I knew about your lady friend... well that's a different story you'll learn another day. Anyway, eventually that family started making less and less money and soon became poor. You joined the military and died, now you're here." She said as she looked at me with serious eyes.

"So, isn't that a bit too much information to drop onto someone out of nowhere!! 'Oh hey you're my son and I'm death a dragon god, welcome home after sixteen years.' What the hell! You don't just do that!"

"I'm sorry, I know this is sudden, but I had to tell you! Because... you're also going to be the next god of death. I'm SORRY!" She says as she looks down with guilt.

"...what?" I say surprised.