Chapter Twenty-Four | The Prince and Princess

The next day, Darrel was eating breakfast alone, since Rosamund had gone out early that morning for a charity event. She had found a very interesting book in the library and was deeply invested in it when Mead walked in. Darrel stood up, slamming the book shut.
    "His Royal Highness, the Duke of York, your highness," Mead announced as David stepped in.
    "Thank you Mead," Darrel nodded, "please make sure we are not disturbed."
    "Yes your highness."
    Mead bowed and left. David approached his sister and gave her a slight bow.
    "I'm not going back," Darrel announced.
    "Yes you are," David replied.
    "What makes you say that?"
    "Because it is who you are. You will not allow your country to fall, you would never be able to live with yourself."
    "Get out," Darrel ordered.
    "Excuse me?" David gasped.
    "You heard me very clearly. Please, leave this house at once."
    "Not without you."   
    "As you are very well aware of, I now outrank you. So please, leave my aunt's house. I will come back when I am ready."
    "Fine."
    David bowed, "Your highness."
    David turned around and left the room. Darrel sat down, as a tear ran down her cheek.

She then stood, up marched into the hallway, picked up the phone and dialled a number.
    "Hello?" Came Sebastian's voice.
    "Are you still in London?" Darrel inquired.
    "Darrel?"
    "Yes, it's me. Are you still in London?"
    "I am. I'm leaving next week."
    "Perfect. Meet me at my aunt's house in an hour."
    "Is everything alright?"
    "I'll explain when you get here."
    "I will see you soon."
    "Thank you."
    Darrel hung up the phone and went upstairs to change.

    In an hour, Darrel entered the drawing room to find Sebastian already there. He got up and bowed to her, as she curtsied in return.
    "I'm sorry to have kept you waiting," Darrel nodded, sitting across from him.
    "No worries, I haven't been here for long," Sebastian assured.
    "Would you like some tea?"
    "No, thank you. I would rather hear why you requested my presence."
    "Of course."
    Darrel got up and started pacing.
    "Darrel, are you alright?" Sebastian asked.
    "This is going to sound crazy," Darrel warned, "but I read about it earlier today, and I think it can solve my problem."
    "What is it?"
    Darrel took a deep breath, "Let's get married."
    "What?"
    "That's right. Let's get married."
    Sebastian stood up, utterly shocked and went over to Darrel.
    "Why?" Sebastian said, clearly confused.
    "I read about it," Darrel replied, "if two heirs of two different nations get married, these days, it's more common that one abdicates. Obviously, I will be the one to abdicate, and then I don't have to worry about any of this."
    "I thought you were incapable of abdicating."
    "I overheard Lord and Lady Grantham talking. Their majesties want me out of the palace, they don't want me to inherit. They want it to go to a distant duke. So, I won't be disappointing them, and England won't fall."
    "Why not just abdicate yourself?"
    "I would have to wait until his majesty dies. That will be in many years. Years! And until then, I will be stuck with them!"
     Darrel paused to wipe away the tears that had formed in the corner of her eyes. Sebastian gave her a hug, then pulled her onto the couch.
    "Darrel, you know I love you. And marrying you has been my dream for so long," Sebastian informed.
    "So, what's stopping us?" Darrel replied, "Let's do it."
    "But, you don't love me the way I love you. I just don't think I can be in a one-way marriage, especially not with the girl I love."
    "I've always had a crush on you Sebastian. Since I first met you, I always had a crush on you."
    "You never said."
    "It's because you were a prince, and I was the daughter of an earl. I didn't think I was good enough for you, and I knew your parents would never allow it. But now..."
    "I'm a prince, and you're a princess."
    "Exactly."
    Sebastian sighed.
    "Darrel, I want you to marry me because of your love for me," Sebastian informed, "not because you think I'm the solution to your problems."
    "Can't I marry you for both reasons?" Darrel replied.
    Sebastian paused, "Are...are you sure you love me?"
    Darrel wrapped her arms around his neck, got on her tiptoes, and planted a kiss on his lips.
    "I have wanted to do that for a while now," Darrel whispered.
    A small smile appeared on Sebastian's face, then he leant down and kissed her.
    The two of them were interrupted by the door opening. They detached themselves from each other to find Paul, staring.
    "Master Paul," Sebastian nodded.
    "What the devil is happening here?" Paul demanded.
    "Paul..." Darrel said softly.
    "You've chosen him? Over me?"
    "Are you surprised?" Sebastian smirked.
    "Seb," Darrel said sharply, then said softly, "wait here."
    Darrel took Paul by the hand, and pulled him out of the room and into the library.

    "Right," Paul said, once they entered the library, "I believe you ought to explain yourself."