Chapter 5 - Goodbye

On Wednesday night, Marinette was sitting on her bed mentally preparing herself for the following morning and reading the last page of More Than Meets The Eye of The Needle. She had read every book she owned about sewing twice over again, making sure that she would be able to impress Gabriel Agreste in the morning. She used her finger to trace the last sentence of the book and slammed it closed. At the same time, she heard a knock on her window. Marinette leaped up and fell off her bed. Marinette didn't even have to look at who was knocking on her window at 11 pm, she already knew, and she was not ready to face him. Marinette stood up, brushed herself off, and turned to face him. He had already come into the room and was leaning against her wall of the far side of her room.

"Chat..." Marinette whispered. "What are you doing here?"

"I had to see you again," He replied.

"Chat, I can't. I love Adrien, I can't let myself -" She paused and looked away.

He took a few steps towards her and reached out to grab her hand as he asked, "You can't let yourself what?" Marinette took a step away from him and pulled her hand away quickly.

"I can't -" Tears began to form in her eyes as she looked anywhere but into Chat's green stare. "I can't let myself fall for you," she said. It hurt her more than she ever had thought it would to let those words escape her lips. She choked back a cry as she turned her back to him. She felt his arm rest itself on her shoulder.

"Chat, I don't know how to feel anymore. I love Adrien Agreste but you've been on my mind more than I'd like, and just when everything is going fine again, you come right back in through my window..." She sniffed and a tear rolled down her cheek. Chat Noir used the hand he had placed on her shoulder to turn her around to face him. He gently used the back of his hand to brush a tear away.

"Chat, please," She whispered. He nodded at her and gave her an understanding and sad smile.

"I understand, Princess. I'm sorry," He said as he removed his hand from her cheek. She moved her head to follow his hand until it was gone. He turned around to leave when he felt her hand on his shoulder, this time. He turned his head to look at her and his eyes widened when he felt her leap into his arms. He enclosed her in his arms and he rested his head on her shoulder while she did the same. They enjoyed each other's embrace as they hugged each other. Chat could feel her head shaking as she cried into his shoulder. He felt awful for making her feel this way. He had never imagined that such an amazing girl would be torn between his two personalities. He wanted so bad to tell her who he was under the mask, but he knew he couldn't. He didn't want to put her in danger.

"I am so sorry, Princess. I never meant to hurt you," He whispered in her ear. She sniffled and shook her head.

"No Chat, you could never hurt me. I'm the one hurting myself. I'm letting myself fall... fall in love with two amazing guys, and now one of them is in my room and instead of enjoying it, I'm crying into his shoulder... I am so sorry, Chat,"

He squeezed her tightly before unraveling her from his grip. He put one hand on either shoulder and looked into her eyes. "Marinette, you are the most beautiful, loving, talented, and kind girls I know. Don't apologize. I am perfectly happy to continue to just be your friend... for now," He winked, which seemed to lighten the mood. Marinette laughed a little bit and wiped the tears off her face and she tried to stop herself from crying.

"What did I do to deserve you?" Marinette asked, smiling.

"I guess you just got really lucky," He replied. The two laughed together and sat down on the bed next to each other and chatted about fashion and her winning the internship. As glad as Chat was that he was able to cheer his princess up, he wanted nothing more than to just put his hand on her cheek and pull her in for a gentle kiss. He opened his eyes and realized that Marinette was only an inch away from his and that his hand was on her cheek. He slowly removed his hand and blushed. This must have been the most embarrassing thing he had ever done. Marinette's eyes were wide with surprise, but he could see something else swimming around in them, though he couldn't decipher what.

"I'm so sorry, Princess," he apologized. "I- I didn't know what I was doing..."

Before he could ramble on about how sorry he was, he felt Marinette's hand pull his cheek towards hers. His eyes grew wide in surprise as she pulled him in for a tender kiss. He was taken aback by the sudden sensation of her lips on his. He closed his eyes and he wrapped his arms around her neck as her hands moved up to his head. She held a soft grip in his golden hair as she fit her lips into his as perfectly as two puzzle pieces.

Marinette hadn't expected to be sitting in her room, at 11:15 pm, sitting on her bed, kissing Chat Noir for the second time and she certainly hadn't expected to kiss him in this scenario, either. Her mind was whirling as she did. Her hands were in his hair, her mind was nowhere to be found and her stomach was on a roller coaster. It seemed like the only time that everything seemed to make sense was when she was kissing Chat, and she really wished it hadn't. She knew that she couldn't go on like this anymore. When eventually the time had finally come to pull herself away from him, she rested her forehead on his, her eyes still closed.

"What... What was that?" Chat asked breathlessly with a smile.

Marinette moved her hands down from his head and to his back. He felt a tear roll off her face and onto his sleeve. He opened his eyes and saw an expression on her face that ripped his heart into a thousand small pieces. It was a mixture of love and pain, and he hated seeing it on the face of his princess.

"That was goodbye," She whispered. She pulled her forehead away from his, her hands trailing down his arms until she was able to grab the hands that had come off her waist. She gave them a gentle squeeze before standing up and walking over towards her window. She stared out the window into the night sky and felt her tears gently glide down her face. She didn't have to turn around, she knew the scene behind her.

Chat felt his heart sink to his feet at the sound of those words. He quickly wiped a tear from his face as he stood up and turned to her. He stared at her for a few moments, watching her stand motionless by her window. He hadn't realized what an impact she had made on his life until he lost her, and he hadn't known what he had done to her heart until he heard her say those heart-wrenching words. He wanted to reach his hand out to her to comfort her, but he knew that it would only hurt her further, so instead, he just stood there, holding back his sorrow the best he could.

"I'm beginning my internship tomorrow and will be gone every day for the next three months, Chat. I will be spending every day with Adrien Agreste, and I don't know how I can do that when each night you're coming through my window and confusing my heart. I just can't, Chat..." She whispered, wiping away a tear.

Chat slowly nodded and made his way to the window. He paused next to her and tried to meet her gaze, but she just continued to stare into the black sky as if she didn't feel him right next to her. He turned away with sadness in his heart and pain in his eyes. He leaped up to the window and extended his staff to travel across the rooftops.

He sat on a rooftop nearby his bedroom window and stared into it. He closed his eyes and turned away. He wasn't ready to go home just yet. Instead, he leaped across Paris to one of the higher rooftops in Paris and watched the moon finish its' journey to the top of the sky just to sink into the horizon, chased by the rising sun. When he heard the birds begin to chirp, he finally went home, detransformed, and laid in his bed and stared at his ceiling until Nathalie came in to brief him of his schedule for the day.

Marinette heard her 7:00 am alarm go off and she rolled over to turn it off. Similar to Adrien, she had gotten no sleep. She wished that she didn't have to see Adrien today, especially after that night. She just wanted to curl up in bed and let herself feel the pain that she had caused herself. No, Marinette. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Today you will be able to learn from the best designer in all of Paris. It's time to forget about whatever this was between Chat and I and focus on me, she told herself. She rolled herself out of her bed, got ready for the day, and took a deep breath before beginning her walk to the Agreste Manor.

_A/N_~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_A/N_

Sorry for the short chapter, but hopefully it felt longer due to the way I wrote it. Also, sorry for the depressing chapter, but oh well X3

I love you all so much and want thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the support!

♡MiraculouslyyPanda 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~