Chapter 65

"It was a pleasure to burn."
- Ray Bradbury

In Darkness Confidence Resides

I caught a quick glimpse of Wes' devious smirk before he closed the door behind us, plunging us into the complete darkness of the office. I couldn't see anything, but I could feel everything. Wes firmly held my waist between his warm hands and the room suddenly grew very hot.

Wes guided me through the darkness of the room by my waist until my hips fell against a desk. I leaned into it for support for I was sure my knees would give out. With sudden confidence, I trailed my hands up along Wes arms and across his sculptured broad shoulders. He shivered at my touch as I pulled him closer but he growled in impatience at my deliberate slow movements. Instead, he stepped closer and pressed me up against the desk.

His lips softly touched my temple and my skin was set ablaze. Oh, how had I survived the cold without him for so long? My train of thoughts trailed off as his hands drew enticing circles on the side of my waist and circled lower across my back, his lips trailing across my cheekbones and down to my jaw. Every part of me he touched was set to fire and reborn again and again.

I moaned at his touch and pulled his mouth to mine. I could feel his smirk against my lips at my impatience and he kissed me deeper, his tongue caressing my trembling lower lip. I granted him access and he hungrily kissed me, his hands sliding down my arms and to my thighs. He suddenly grabbed the back of my thighs and lifted me up against the desk. I gasped, wrapping my legs around his waist as he pressed into me, deepening our kiss. I was out of air, but this was far better than breathing.

He locked my hands above my head, fighting for dominance as he kissed my neck. I moaned in response and pressed him closer.

"Kitty," he whispered huskily and breathless. "You'll be the end of me, I swear."

I looked into his eyes and pulled him back into a kiss. This time it was more urgent and he pressed my hands harder above my head.

My hands pressed into something sharp this time and something above my head gave way and there was a crash. A folder fell to the floor and papers flew everywhere over the study room.

We pulled apart, breathing heavily as we looked at the mess we head created.

"Damn," I cursed. "Dad's going to kill me!"

I wiggled out of Wes' grasp and switched on the light, staring in horror at the mess we had made. The papers in the folder had come undone in their order and they were literally everywhere- over the desk, on the floor, somehow even finding their way to the slip under the door.

Wes blinked as his eyes adjusted to the bright light. His face was flushed and although I probably looked even worse, I felt satisfaction in his reaction. He smirked, winking at me as he bent to pack up the papers.

I did the same, hurriedly gathering papers together and shoving them into the file. But there was a sudden silence behind me and I turned around to see Wes. He had stopped midtrack, his face white and eyes wide as he read the paper he was holding.

"What is it?" I asked in concern at his sudden expression.

"You didn't see the papers?" Wes asked, raising an eyebrow at my nonchalant attitude.

"No, it's just dad's work stuff," I raised an eyebrow at him. "Did you accidentally find a love note he wrote to Laurina?"

"No," Wes replied slowly, eyes flitting to the paper and back to me in concern.