Flying

When recounting his visit to McGonagall's office, Harry neglected to tell Ron and Hermione about Malfoy. Focusing on his captaincy of the Quidditch team, he told them about the new broom he was promised.

"That's amazing Harry," Ron smiled. "It'll be good to get back on the pitch."

"Only if you'll come and be my keeper," Harry nodded at him, lifting a bread roll in a mock toast.

"I thought you'd never ask," Ron laughed, grabbing a bread roll to meet his.

Harry did, in fact, split the roll, buttering it and spreading some jam on it. He ate it all, taking McGonagall's words to heart. He felt very full after consuming it, considering his stomach was not used to the calories. He saw, out of the corner of his eye, Hermione watching him with a smile on her face. He felt happy too.

+ + +

Malfoy was still absent the next morning too. Harry went down to breakfast with Ron, discussing who they wanted on the Quidditch team that year without thinking about the absent blonde too much.

He sipped a goblet of pumpkin juice and ate a slice of buttered toast while the post came swooping in. Unexpectedly, a large package was dropped in front of Harry as the breakfast was cleared. From the shape of the object, he already knew what it was. He and Ron shared a look of excitement before rushing back to the Eighth year dorm with it leaving Hermione with Ginny.

The two tumbled into the common room and began tearing at the brown paper before they had even set down. Harry and Ron stared in awe of the beautiful Firebolt that now lay in their arms.

"Wicked," Ron whispered. Though he held a beautiful broom in his hands, Harry could not help the pang of guilty sorrow he had for his old faithful broomstick. He knew it was selfish to resent the expensive item in his hands. "Let's go down to the Quidditch pitch this afternoon."

Harry nodded. They stowed away the broom under Harry's bed and head back down to the Great Hall just as the students began to disperse for first class.

Herbology passed uneventfully, though Professor Sprout promised them that next lesson they would be studying six-foot tall carnivorous daisies which amused both Harry and Ron.

Double transfiguration moved similarly as the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff students listened to Professor Laxtings list every possible spell that may appear on their N.E.W.T exam.

During lunch, Ron talked animatedly to Hermione about Harry's new broom while Harry pretended to look over his notes from that morning. His stomach growled in protest but he ignored it.

On their way to the dungeons, the two spotted Madame Hooch, the Quidditch coach and new Head of Gryffindor house. The told her the news of Harry's new broom and continuation of captaincy. She, of course, was ecstatic and couldn't wait for tryouts. She tossed Ron the key to the Quidditch shed as they were about to head into the depths of the castle so they could toss a quaffle while breaking in the new broom. 

Harry stared at the clock on the stone wall all through double potions waiting anxiously for the bell to ring, signalling the end of the day. Thankfully, Professor Slughorn had them writing out the theory behind Polyjuice potions instead of actually making them which would have just embarrassed Harry further after last lesson's mishap.

The bell signalling the end of the school day resonates through the school and Harry and Ron waste no time in throwing their quills and parchment into their bags and racing back to the Eighth year dorms to change.

+ + + 

Harry had missed this. The chilly Scottish air hitting his face as he walked through the grounds of Hogwarts, a broom tucked under his arm and Ron Weasley by his side. A small smile reached his lips and he inhaled deeply.