cxlix.

"I feel like we're at another one of his stupid banquets," Yoongi snapped, tugging at the bow tie cutting off the circulation at his neck.

Hobi just laughed, his eyes scanning the room, left to right then right to left, never pausing for a moment. "At least it's not full of ugly old people with their wallets stapled to their pockets."

"Maybe they're not old," Yoongi agreed after a moment, eyeing a boy walk past with his hair gelled back and his face corrupted in violent outbreaks of untreated acne. "But I don't think you're wrong on the ugly part."

"At least they've got beats," Hobi said with a shrugged, still scanning the crowd, but his foot was tapping to the music. "Although I wish Joshua and them were here. They would have been fun to hang out with."

"Yeah, I bet," Yoongi said, scanning the crowd as well, but he knew who Hobi was looking for, and he wasn't looking for her. Instead, his eyes narrowed in on Taehyung, one leg bent at the knee used to prop himself up against the wall as he animatedly conversed with the one kid Yoongi could have sworn he'd seen Tae punch a few years ago. His hand gestures were quick and all over the place, and Yoongi couldn't tell if he was angry or excited. Knowing Tae, probably both.

Then Yoongi found Jin, just coming in from outside, and Yoongi glared at his figure suspiciously. Jin, the one with all the friends, who had seemed the least interested in finding a date. Instead, Jin just sort of walked around the perimeter, ignoring the occasional looks he received from other kids who were confused by his recent incomprehensible actions. Yoongi watched as Jin happened to pass by I.M, and the two exchanged a fist bump and smile before parting ways.

"Oh man, oh man oh man oh man," Hobi started chanting softly from beside him, and Yoongi sighed before following Hobi's gaze. "She's really coming over here, Yoongi. What do I do? What am I supposed to say? I asked her sort of as friends and mostly because she was the only person I was pretty sure wouldn't reject me but now that the moment is here I feel totally unprepared and-"

Yoongi shut Hobi up by giving him a push toward Jeongyeon, who had been making her way through the crowd toward Hobi. She gave Hobi a smile before making eye contact with Yoongi for a long second, and there was something in her eyes, some emotion that definitely should not have been there if she were his brother's date and not someone he was supposed to be interested in - but then she looked back at Hobi and smiled, a clean, innocent smile, and it was so convincing that Yoongi almost forgotten the look he'd read in her eyes.

Even after the two of them had lost themselves in the crowd, Yoongi was stuck arguing with himself in his head, questioning whether or whether not Jeongyeon had really just tried to undress him with her eyes and why or why not she would do that if she'd rejected him and gone with Hobi instead and-

"Hey," Jin said, having circumvented the entire crowd to make his way around to Yoongi's side with a crooked smile. "Enjoying yourself?"

Yoongi turned his nose up slightly, his lips tightening. He couldn't really help it; his first defense mechanism to protect himself from feeling hurt - emotionally or physically - was to be as bitchy as possible. "I'd enjoy myself more if everybody else left."

"Well, if it makes you feel better, most of them will leave a little early to get started on all the wild unprotected sex they'll be having tonight," Jin offered with a bashful grin, and Yoongi was so surprised to hear the words coming out of Jin's mouth that he snorted.

"I guess that makes my special night a little more promising," Yoongi added, trying to still sound unbothered and unaffected by the tornado of teenage hormones swirling around the room, but Jin just smiled and ruffled Yoongi's hair.