The Scare

Ms. Stella is here- barely," My art teacher sighs as he stands at the podium.

His gray hair is pushed to the side today, and he is donning a brown cardigan with khakis. He holds a pointer, which is really a ruler, in his hand as he motions for me to take a seat. I do as he says and sit at the back table with my group partners.

"Hey guys," I whisper to them as I quietly take my seat. "What are we doing today-"

One of the girls interrupts me by making a 'Shh!' sound and I stop talking.

"Why are you telling Stella to be quiet? You're louder than she is!" Chase tries to pick a fight with the girl, but I shake my head at him, stopping him.

There are two other girls at the table besides me, which includes Stacy: a girl who I'm sure only got into the school because she paid her way inside, and Jessica: a girl who automatically assumes that the world revolves around her and that she's the greatest artist in the room.

Jessica would be the one that told me to be quiet.

Her hair is a light dyed blonde, and Stacy's hair is stark black. They both seem to wear expensive clothing, and they both always wear heels, regardless of the weather.

I don't really like them that much, but they're my partners, so I have to at least try to be friends with them.

Our teacher, Mr. Bryde, talks about ancient paintings of the past, such as The Mona Lisa, and Starry Night.

I pull out my sketchbook quietly, making sure to not disrupt the class.

Chase has found a comfortable spot on the floor next to me, and he messes with the pencil shavings that are on the ground. He seems to be bored as his chin rests in his hand.

Mr. Bryde talks for what seems like hours, and I draw. It's nothing big or fancy, just little doodles on my paper here and there.

His talking stops abruptly, and he hits the ruler against the edge of the podium, startling me. I shoot my eyes up to the front of the room to see what caused such a commotion.

Chase sits beside me, a look of shock and fear etched onto his face.

"Who threw it?" Mr. Bryde scans the room. "Who threw this pencil shaving at me?"

My eyes go wide and I fire a glare at Chase. He gives a sheepish smile, and I grit my teeth.

"It came from the back," Someone who sits in the front comments, and everyone turns to look at me.

"It wasn't me," I defend. "I was just sitting here! There's not even shavings on my desk!"

I point around, proving my innocence. A snigger comes from Chase and I'd give anything to kick him in the face right now.

"I'm not sure who threw it, but it better not happen again," Mr. Bryde turns back to the board, and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

The class goes back to normal and I scribble down some words on my sketchbook paper, lifting it up slightly so Chase could see it from his position on the ground.

"If you weren't dead I'd kill you!"

His eyes widen and he stands up from his seat.

"I'm sorry, it was an accident!" He whines. "I'll make it up to you! Watch this."

I watch as he walks to the front of the room, no one noticing him. Well, they can't see him, so that's why they didn't notice him.

He goes and stands in front of Mr. Bryde, making a silly face. I hold back my grin. Chase picks up the book on The podium, and waves it around in the air. The whole class begins to freak out, people mumbling to themselves.

Mr. Bryde looks most shocked, his back against the chalkboard, trying to get as far away from the floating book as possible.

"Whoever is doing this, stop it right now!" He orders, pointing the ruler at the book.

Chase stops moving it on command, leaving it floating still in mid-air. I chuckle at Mr. Bryde scans terrified face, and Chase sees me.

"Let's have some fun," He suggests, chucking the book at the wall, making a sharp thud as it hits the drywall.

Everyone in the class screams, and Mr. Bryde quickly gathers his briefcase, his papers flying everywhere.

"Class dismissed!" He orders, bolting out the door. "We'll resume this lesson later!"

Everyone in the room begins piling out the door as well, and I put my sketchbook in my backpack, walking calmly up to Chase.

"Not bad," I smile at him. "That was pretty good."

Everyone is out of the room, and it's only me and Chase left.

"You've just gotta know how to have a little fun," He smiles. "By the way, who were those girls? Why did they tell you to be quiet?"

"Ah," I think back to Jessica and Stacy. "They're my partners. I don't really like them, but I've got to put up with them."

"I also wouldn't think that your art teacher would be such a jerk, either," He comments. "That was the most boring lecture ever."

I laugh. "Its art history, it's supposed to be boring," I look at him. "I'm getting hungry, how about lunch?" I ask.

"Ghosts don't eat," He deadpans. "But I'll go with you anyways."

We continue on throughout my regular day, going to each of my different classes, and carrying on the day as usual.

The sun is just beginning to set as I walk home, Chase walking comfortably beside me.

"Your classes suck," He comments. "The only good class you have is Art Appreciation. You actually got to paint in there."

I look down at my hands that are covered in different colorful hues of acrylic paints. I peel some blue off of my index finger, and we continue walking.

"There can be worse things than taking boring classes, you know?" He starts.

There's still no one in the streets tonight, and I'm sure it's because of the M Murders that have been taking place. The moon is full and rising higher and higher into the sky, giving us some light as we walk.

"Yeah," I look at my feet as I walk. "Like getting killed. That's a lot worse than taking classes."

"What? No, no, no," He stops walking and I gaze up at him. "Look at what I'm wearing! I died in a hoodie, ripped jeans, and converse! I'm stuck with this outfit forever!"

I raise an eyebrow. Is he seriously complaining about his outfit choice right now?

"I mean," He puts his hands on his hips. "If I knew I would have died, I would have at least put on something a bit more fashionable!"

I roll my eyes. "Oh be quiet," I begin to walk again. "You'll wake up the neighbors."

"Hey come back!" He calls out to me. "I'm not finished complaining!"

A small grin comes onto my face as I hear him run to catch up to me.

Maybe having a ghost friend isn't such a bad thing?

A/N

I want a ghost friend! That is yet another chapter down ladies and gents! Please don't forget to leave some little comments and votes here and there!

-Hannah