f i f t y t w o

Grace sits quietly in front of me. I take a deep breathe, we haven't fought for this long. She concentrates on putting Zara's hair into a braid. "I'll be back, do you need anything?" I ask, getting up from the couch.

Grace shakes her head. Stepping out I find Micah and Elliot talking over a glass of whiskey. "Elliot," I call, "Can I talk to you for a moment? Alone, if that's good with you."

He furrows his eyebrows together, but nods. Licking my lips I sigh, stepping into the next room, "What's wrong, R?"

"She hates me, she hasn't said a word."

"Rose," Elliot sighs, "she doesn't hate you. she's just hurting."

"Over something I did," I whisper.

Elliot hugs me, "just talk to her. She was so moody for days because you guys were fighting. Then she was crying because she has news and she's so dying to tell you, but she can't-"

"And why would she think that? She knows she can tell me anything."

"Talk. To. Her."

I take a deep breathe and turn back towards where I left Grace and Zara. Sitting on the couch, I pull Zara with newly braided her onto my lap. "So," I clear my throat. "I saw my parents yesterday- with Micah and Zara."

"Oh?" Grace looks up, "how were they?"

"Same as ever," I shake my head, "not one care for my brother or I's life. I yelled at them and walked away. I don't think they'll ever visit here again."

"That sucks."

"I guess," I shrug. "I did take as reassurance. They obviously don't care one bit."

We fall back into silence.

"I didn't think it could ever happen, Micah changing like he did. For Zara. For me."

She gives me a small smile. Zara pries herself off my lap and onto the floor where she skips to a pile of toys in the corner of the room.

I can only wonder what she has to tell me. She got a rise in her job? That would be wonderful. But why on earth would she cry because she couldn't tell me that. I guess it is Grace.

Zara comes back placing a plate in front of Grace, "me l-like mumma and gi foo-d to you."

"Can I order?" Grace asks.

"Mm Yep!"

"Can I please have a hot dog."

"Yep," Zara nods and then runs off to her play kitchen. She pretends to cook, using all the equipment and the fake food.

"How's work?" I ask.

"Good," Grace nods. "I got some time off in five months. for about half a year."

"Wow, that's a long time. Are you going back to europe with Elliot? I remember you guys saying you wanted to go back."

"Ah no," she shakes her head. "I'll be.. In hospital."

I stared confused for a moment. Then all at once it hits me. "No," I shake my head. "No way. You're joking."

"I'm really not joking," she smiles.

"Oh my, that is so amazing," I pull my arms around her. "Do you know Girl or Boy yet?"

"We don't want to find out."

"Oh my- I can't believe it. Why didn't you tell me sooner? I assume five months it due then?"

"Six but I'm getting a early month off- just in case a complication occurs. We were fighting- I went to call you then i realised."

"And who cares if we were fighting? Who do you think I am? Oh my God I'm organising your baby shower. Okay?"

♔♔♔

My fingers run through Zara's hair pulling out the braids. She sits quietly flipping the pages on her book, "read for mummy?"

"Ok," Zara nods.

"Remember how I taught you," I take her finger pointing at the first word. "On."

"On," Zara repeats.

"Saturday."

"Satday," She grins when Micah walks in the room. "Daddy sit," she points to the spot beside her. "Mama, I read," she points.

Micah takes a seat where Zara pointed. Kissing her cheek. She giggles trying to hide from him. I whisper the words to Zara which she repeats back to Micah some perfect, some no where near perfect.

"Okay," I kiss the top of Zara's head, "I think it's time for bed. We have a big day with Grace and Elliot at the carnival. I don't want you sleeping."

"I'll take her," Micah brushes hair off my face.

"Thanks," I smile hugging Zara. "I love you baby, I'll see you in the morning."

"Luv You mummy," she smiles.

I turn to Micah, "And you should- Sleep here. She needs to learn to sleep on her own."

It takes Micah about half an hour to put Zara to bed. During that time I shower and start getting in bed. Micah steps into the room, and joins me on the bed. We face each other, in the dark laying down.

I smile, "You know it's Zara's third birthday in a few months? I was thinking maybe we could do something, take her out for a day."

"I know," Micah nods. "Would you like to go to Italy? Somewhere else if you want?"

"I said a day," I shake my head. "I knew you'd say something extravagant. She's turning three not twenty one."

Micah parts his lips, exhaling. "I think we should do it still, I think you both deserve a trip, something relaxing."

I let my hand wonder to his cheek, "I'll give you permission to organise her birthday celebration."

pretty sure my wattpad is broken

this is sucha short chap imma sorry i just wanted a happy chapter before-

anyway see y'all soon xx