The Startle

Later that night, I sit on my couch with Muffin curled into my lap as I eat a cup of Ramen.

Chase is no where to be seen, because he said he had some errands to run. If ghosts can even run errands, that is.

The news cuts into my program, bringing Breaking News.

The lady on the screen sits at her news desk, papers in her hands.

"This just in, Officer Woods has discovered the sixth homicide victim in the M Murders," She looks to her side at the man who's sitting next to her. "Bart, let's go live to the scene of the crime."

"Parker?" I ask, leaning in closer to the TV.

"We've concluded the victim to be thirty four year old Anton Hills," Parker appears on the screen and my heart cuts a flip. "He, like the other victims was stabbed to death. In the stomach, to be exact."

I have a mini fangirl moment as I cheer for my crush on the screen. "Look muffin!" I jump, scaring my cat. "Parker is on TV! He's basically famous!"

She gives me a frustrated "Mreeoow!" As she hops out of my lap and meanders into my bedroom.

As I'm watching Parker on the screen, I notice something behind him. It's the familiar figure of Chase walking around at the crime scene amongst the officers.

His blue tint is visible through the camera, and I lean in closer, trying to find out what he was looking at.

He's suddenly off the screen, his figure no where to be found.

"Where did he go-"

"I know who's been killing people!"

I'm startled as he suddenly runs through the door, and appears in front of me. I nearly drop the boiling Ramen water on my lap as I give him a glare.

"Don't do that!" I scold him. "That scared me!"

I stand up and place my cup on the coffee table. "You mean the M Murders?" I ask, crossing my arms. "You mean you know who did it?"

He nods. "Its a twenty-five year old girl! But get this-" He stops for effect. "She's actually a ghost! Well, not a ghost, it's more like an evil spirit!" 

"An evil spirit?" I question, raising my eyebrow.

He violently nods. "She has black hair, and these red eyes and-" He stops talking. "You!"

He points to me, and I look around. "Me?"

"Yes you!" He quickly runs over to my backpack, pulling my sketchbook out. "You can draw her! I'll describe her for you and you can make a composite sketch!"

He thrusts the book into my hands, and motions for me to have a seat. "Chase, I'm not that good of an artist," I inform him.

"Oh shush, yes you are!" We both sit down on the couch facing each other.

I get some pencils and erasers out, ready to draw whatever he tells me to.

"Well, it's a girl in her twenties," He starts. "Her face is really pale, and it looks so dry that it's cracking. Her eyes are blood red, and she has this matted long black hair that's parted in the middle and covers most of her face."

I quickly draw out every detail that he lists off, adding shading where it was needed and I even colored in her eyes.

Once I'm finished, I flip the book over to show him. "How's that?" I ask, unsure of what his answer would be.

He stares at the paper, the color draining from his already blue tinted skin. For a second, I think that it looks bad, but he soon looks up at me and smiles.

"It looks just like her," He shakes his head, not believing that I drew it.

"How do you know all of this stuff about her?" I curiously ask him. "And why is she only killing males with brown hair?"

He leans back into the couch, a satisfying smirk coming onto his face. "I did a little snooping around in the ghost world," He vaguely answers. "I managed to talk to a few wandering spirits."

That's great. He's already close with everyone in the ghost community.

"They said that she was a beautiful lady when she was still alive," He begins to tell a story. "She got married at age twenty, to a successful businessman who was also her best friend. She loved him a lot, but turns out that he didn't feel the same way."

"He turned violent on the night of their five year anniversary, and things got out of hand. Some nasty words were said, and he turned to physical violence. He ended up stabbing her in the stomach, not knowing that she was carrying his child."

My eyes go wide as I listen to him.

"Both her and the baby died, and now she wants revenge. Her husband was the first victim, a week after her own death. Every male that has brown hair looks like him, so she's basically gone crazy and is killing everyone who reminds her of him."

"I can't really say I blame her," He says, looking at his feet. "My girlfriend dumped me the night that I died. That's why I was wandering the streets. She's kind of the reason I was killed."

I stare at him, a little bit of fear coming onto me. "Well, I hope you don't decide to kill me because I look like her!"

He laughs. "Don't worry! You don't look like her!" He gives me a heartfelt smile, and I lightly grin at him as well. "Because she's actually pretty."

My smile drops I give him a glare, choosing to ignore his rude comment. "How do we stop the ghost?" I ask. "Can we reason with her?"

He shrugs. "I don't know, but I think that we need to give this sketch to your lover boy who works at the police station."

I roll my eyes.

"I will tomorrow. I need some sleep."

A/N

Our ghost friend is proving to be quite helpful! Always leave a couple of comments and never forget to vote!

EDIT:  For some reason, this chapter didn't post! I'm so sorry about the confusion!

-Hannah