Chapter 23: Fade

Sorry I haven't uploaded in a while!! <3

* * *

            I know what you're thinking.

            How the hell did I end up here?

            Death held me down with his steel-claw of a hand. I could hear his one half: the creature, and its thunderous, vicious growls from beneath the water, and I could hear his other half: the dark angel, and its foreign curses, projected by that mesmerizing deep voice. Together, those two disastrous halves combined into a tsunami of obliteration, a Fallen without any boundaries, and the waves of my demise, in line with that tsunami, were carried away, spilling relentlessly over the rim of the bathtub and flooding the floor.

            Any girl my age would have loved my current position.

            Seriously.

            A drenched wool cloak blocked my vision as Death made a big show of flattening me out like a pancake at the bottom of my tub and straddled my hips. The muscles in his leather-covered thighs squeezed against me, and unfortunately, my teenage hormones were getting the best of me, and I was more aware of his thighs than the fact that I couldn't breathe. I switched my attack from his rock hard arm to his soft cotton t-shirt,  which I practically ripped off of his stupid, undoubtedly perfectly sculpted immortal body.

            See? The position we were in was truly "fangirl" worthy.

            Except for the fact that he was drowning me...

            I thrashed my legs out, trying to slip my knee out from under him, but it was pointless. A giant boulder had decided, "Hey, I'm going to sit on you and drown you," and that boulder's name was Death. Well, his pseudonym was Death....

            Still a better love story than Twilight.

            Time ticked by unbearably slow. For a moment, I wanted this to end quickly. I wanted it all to end. But then I thought better. If he killed me, he would probably have no use of me anymore an would kill my family. Or maybe he would turn me into a zombie. Or a vampire. Did vampires exist in his world? I hate vampires, I thought to myself, but it would be really cool to hang from the ceiling....

            Oh right, I was drowning.

            Bubbles were now rapidly escaping my mouth. My nails scraped the iron panel of raw, sinewy abdominal ridges of the Grim Reaper's stomach.

            Death lifted me out of the water and I gasped for air. There was a lot of irony in that, I know.

            "I can do this all night," the monster hissed, a growl erupting from his throat. "All damn night, princess!"

            "That's," I gasped out, attempting to laugh but wheezing instead, "what she said!"

            Death was silent for a long moment. I could feel him glaring at me.

            The monster pinned me to the bottom of the tub again...

            And pause.

            It's still me, guys.

            I'm just breaking that pesky fourth wall again. It's been a while. Present tense is a bitch, isn't it? Really gets you thinking. Is Faith alive? What about Death? Why doesn't he get a say in any of this? Well hey, I'm the sassy, usually likeable and sometimes dense protagonist, and I deserve some love too. At least you now know I'm able to physically type on this laptop for you all and I'm not six feet under.