Chapter 25

A huge thanks to my dedicated readers. I appreciate you!

If you LOVE this story and want to know when the latest chapter is up, follow me on Wattpad. I update Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays!

__________________

The next morning when Kami awoke and stretched, her body ached. She figured it was from all the traveling. She tucked her legs under her chin and looked over at Yasmin’s empty bedroll. She wondered when her cousin had awakened, or if she had even gone to sleep. Yasmin had been pretty agitated last night.

She had been relentless, hammering Samuel with inquiries despite his attempts to end the discussion. Kami could see that Yasmin would make a killer journalist if she brought that kind of passion to her work, although she hadn’t gleaned much useful information from her questioning. 

She and Yasmin had talked late into the night, learning about each other's hopes, dreams, and ambitions. She couldn’t help but wish she’d had a sister, if she was anything like Yasmin anyway. Yasmin was so open with her affection that it was easy to return it.

Kami yawned and lay back down. How were they going to figure all this out? Was there even hope for her grandparents anymore? After Samuel’s story about the strange corpses, she had spent the night dreaming of her grandparents walking around as zombies. She wished sometimes she didn’t have such a vivid imagination.

“Rise and shine, sleepyhead,” Yasmin’s cheerful voice floated in as she pulled back the flap to their little compartment. She swiped a small piece of bread in something, popped it in her mouth, and chewed. 

“This is delicious. You have to try it. It’s so much better than that American cereal you were eating yesterday.”

“Are all Egyptian girls as pushy as you?” Kami couldn’t resist asking.

“What does pushy mean?” Yasmin replied, grinning.

By the look on her face, Kami figured Yasmin knew and was only teasing. Kami shook the covers off and stood up, her body still protesting. She looked down at her rumpled clothes. What she wouldn’t give for a hot bath and a clean outfit! But sadly, her bath and luggage had been guarded by a bunch of possessed police officers who were probably in cahoots with the shadow creatures. What a surreal trip it had been so far.

She walked into the common area where everyone lounged, eating. Liam looked at her and started laughing. 

“What?”

“Your hair, I’m sorry. It’s just, maybe you’re trying to make a fashion statement?”

Kami gave him a crusty look, but inwardly she smiled. He must have forgiven her somewhat if he was teasing her again. He was still leaving, of course, but at least he wouldn't leave angry with her. 

“Or not,” he faltered. She rolled her eyes as he mumbled something about someone getting up on the wrong side of the bed. She wondered just how messy her hair was.

“Jet lag stinks,” she grumbled. “I think all this traveling is getting to me.”

“There’s that, but there’s also nothing like running from shadow creatures to kick your rear end into gear,” Liam said. 

Chris laughed. Kami was glad to see him happy now, especially after the way he’d reacted last night. She was curious why he was so upset about his ability, and what had happened that he didn’t want to talk about. She wondered if it had anything to do with why he lived with his uncle now instead of his parents.

“What is this?” Kami asked, casting a suspicious eye at the gross-looking but supposedly delicious stuff on the table. 

“Fuul,” Yasmin replied.