Chapter 7

Many of the Uchiha who had survived that fight gave up, and soon enough, defectors to the Senju began to pop up. The Uchiha were losing their fighting spirit. Madara still stood, now boasting an impressive set of eyes with new-found abilities.

Madara stood in front of Hashirama, his eyes a bright vermillion hue. 
"My brother died that day, succumbing to his injuries, and leaving me powers that will help me protect the Uchiha!" Madara shouts, translucent blue sparks appearing around him.
"I sent a ceasefire agreement! If you really want to protect the Uchiha, we need to stop fighting!" Hashirama yells back. 

The blue sparks explode outwards, forming a ribcage around Madara. It grows even further, making a fanged skull and arms, wielding a sword. 
"Hashirama!" Madara calls. "How long will you keep saying such juvenile things?! It's not possible to show what's inside us, don't you get it?!" 
Hashirama only sternly stares Madara down.

Finally, after a day long battle, Madara's back touches the ground, and you, Tobirama, and other Senju arrive. You see Madara on the ground, with Hashirama kneeling next to him, clearly exhausted.

You try to jog up, only to get stopped by Tobirama.

"You should stay back for now. We don't know what he would do if he sees you." Tobirama states. You sigh, nodding and staying at the back, out of Madara's limited sight.

Tobirama walks up, glancing back at you before fully focusing on Madara. He raises his sword, holding it above Madara's chest.

"Wait, Tobirama." Hashirama says. Both Tobirama and Madara look at him, Tobirama shouting, "Why, Elder Brother?! This is our chance!"

Hashirama glares, firmly stating, "No one touches him."

Tobirama is taken aback, and Madara tells Hashirama to get it over with. You watch, more absorbed in the situation than when you had ever  seen it before.
Madara accepted his death, adding, "It would be an honor to die by your hand." 
"Quit the posturing. If I kill the clan leader, the younger Uchiha who follow you will run amok again." Hashirama states.

"There isn't anyone with such pluck left among us." Madara responds.

"No. There is always someone..." Hashirama reiterates. "Can't we just skip stones, like golden times? Together..." 
"Not possible. You and I are not the same. I don't have a single brother left. And I just can't trust you."

"Is there any way I can convince you?"
Madara thinks for a bit before responding. 

"There is a way... Either kill your brother, or kill yourself, right now. And then we'll be even. I'll be willing to trust your clan."

Even if you had seen this before, it still hit you like a truck. Having (re)grown up with them, the impact was hard. You knew what was going to happen, but the implications of what would happen if the future is changed is still mind-boggling. You still have Shippuden to get through, and the war arc is going to be insane!

Oh shit, the war arc... 

It would probably be best to not think about that as of now.

The Senju around you shout, annoyed and disgruntled at the choice proposed.
Hashirama holds up his hand, silencing them. Tobirama agrees with the others, adding on, "That's just crazy talk! So Elder Brother, are you going to kill me?! Or are you going to die on account of this guy's nonsense?! That's idiotic! Don't listen to him, Elder Brother." 

Madara just looks at Hashirama, waiting for his answer. 

"Madara, you really are a kind man. Thank you." Hashirama states, taking his armor of and tossing it down with a loud clang. He pulls out a kunai.
"Listen Tobirama. Carve these final words of mine into your heart. Words that I will be exchanging for my life. You too, my fellow clan members." Hashirama begins, looking around at everyone on the battlefield. "After my death, do not kill Madara Uchiha. I forbid any fighting between Uchiha and Senju." 
Tobirama and the other Senju look at Hashirama, shocked and appalled. 
"Swear this upon our fathers and yet-unborn grandchildren!" Hashirama requests, a pleasant smile on his face. "Farewell!"