Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Sometimes we do things without thinking, a combination of instinct and reflexes. It's like when you have a bug on your arm and then BAM! You squat it like was nothing. In my case, I went to the park for another run, the same time as the day before and saw Derric.

I let him catch up to me for reasons I cannot begin to comprehend, much less explain.

"I see you came back." He commented looking straight ahead.

"I seem to recall someone saying parks are free." I say throwing his own words back at him.

"Touche my running buddy." I cringed inwardly at the nickname, and if I'm being honest a little on the outside too.

"Not a big fan of being called running buddy." Also, we're not close enough to have pet names for each other. I know his name, and that was pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

"We'll come up with one you like soon enough." I raised an eyebrow at him. That seems highly unlikely, and for something nearly impossible to happen, he was sure of himself. I don't comment but roll my eyes and hope the message goes across.

"Is everything ok?" Derric asks me after a few minutes of silent running. Despite being annoyed with him for breaking the silence, I answer truthfully.

"I'm not sure."

"I understand we barely know each other, but I'm a great listener if you need someone to talk to." His voice was soft and his eyes gentle. Derric may be an annoying stranger, yet the thoughtful gesture could not go unappreciated.

"Thanks Derric, that was considerate of you to offer." I was still unsure if I was even willing to talk at the moment. I mean he was a stranger after all.

Then something clicked.

He was a stranger, which makes him the best confidant. He was the impartial third party that I needed.

"And I'm going to take you up on that offer." I say looking at him with a small smile. He didn't seem so annoying now.

"I was hoping you would." Derric looked at me smiling, and upon closer reflection I realized he had dimples. "So what seems to be the problem?" He tried imitating Dr Phil, or at least that was what I thought it was. The impression was pure crap.

"My best friend, whose name I will not mention," It would be best if our names were kept out of this story. "I know he's trying to look out for me, and his intentions are good. I met him about 5 years ago, and in that span we've been through a lot together."

"I trust him with my life completely, but it's frustrating when he keeps insisting I'm living my life the wrong way. He has some suggestions about this predicament, and he won't accept that I have my own way of handling it. I'm tired of him thinking he knows what's best for me like I can't decide that on my own."

Lately Edmon had been infuriating me, and insinuating that I can't handle my issues on my own. I've been doing well using my own way.

"It seems like your friend, whoever he is really cares about he. His advice is misguided but comes from a good place. He doesn't want to see you get hurt, and this is his way of protecting you. I think what you have to do is have a upfront honest conversation with him about it. He has to see that his comments end up hurting you too."

"And I think you are a little irritated over the situation with him and the one he's trying to advise you on." Derric added quickly, thinking if he said it fast enough I wouldn't be able to hear it.

I took a breath and thought over what he said. "You're right, on both accounts actually. I need to communicate with Edmon better because if I hear him criticize my methods one more time, I will punch him in the face. I guess the aggression comes from both of the vexing situations."

"We can go running a bit further today to release some of your pent up aggression." He suggested. "I heard exercising helps release anxiety, which is the reason I do it." He mumbled the last part underneath his breath so lowly I almost didn't hear it.

Derric had no problem being open and social to a random person he met in the park, while I was the exact opposite. I had walls so high a princess could be stuck in its tower. They served their purpose in driving people out, and likewise they discovered people from getting close.

This was the only way I know how to survive.

"You're a good listener." I complimented Derric. The world was running out of good listeners with everyone so self absorbed in their own problems.

"Thanks, I'm glad to help." He set me a wide smile over her shoulder, his baby blue eyes sparkling.

"I'm going to take you up on your offer to run some more. I just have one question, can you keep up?" I teased him with a small nudge to the arm.

"I've been able to keep up so far." He winked causing me to laugh.

"Also, I don't know how I haven't brought this up yet but you're kind of a stalker for finding me again." I was only half-joking.

"You're a creature of habit, coming to the park around the same time and running the same path. Can you imagine if I was deranged?" He tilted his head and looked at me with a serious face.

"You aren't really helping the claim of being a stalker." I pointed out not feeling threatened at all. I had a good feeling about him, I didn't think he was trying to murder me which is always a good thing.

"Answer me this, am I a stalker for wanting to know your name?"

I shook my head. "I don't think that's being stalkerish, instead curious. It seems like a natural instinct." I shrugged it off, I wasn't sure if I would ever give him my name.

"I've tried looking for you at school." Derric mentioned.

I laughed."I hate to break it to you pal, but you're not going to see me at school. Our school is packed with over 3,000 students, you couldn't pick out my face in the hallway."

"I'll take my chances, plus there's always a possibility I'll see you at the school dance."

His response only made me laugh harder. I had to running, resting my hands on my knees trying to regain some air. "I needed that laugh." I wipe the invisible tears from my eyes.

"I've never been to a school dance before, and never felt the urge to go. There are more important things going on in my life," Like making sure I can pay a stack of bills, "Not to mention that it's in December before Winter Break."

"So." He crossed his arms over his chest and looking at me with a confused expression on his face.

I looked Derric in the eye,worried for him just a little bit. "It's September."

He shrugged his shoulders. "There's no harm in being prepared."

I patted his arm. "You're a douche." Before I could explain any further, my alarm goes off signaling my time to leave.

"That's my cue." I point to my watch.

"At least tell me your name!"

I grin widely. "Let's make it a challenge." I begin walking away, when I hear him call out after me.

"Then I graciously accept!" I noted his apparent enthusiasm.

"Have fun with that." It was completely futile, as he won't find out who I am. I've worked hard over the years to ensure I remained as invisible as I could. I was essentially sending him on a treasure hunt without a map.

It's going to be fun seeing him stumble.