35.

Oliver's P.O.V

I sat in the clinic. I held the cotton wool on my skin as I had to sit and wait. Cody was next.

I had my suspicions on what Sarah had said, but dismissed it. We couldn't do a basic paternity test due to Conner and I being identical twins, but Conner being dead, it was going to be very hard to have a one hundred percent match.

I sat on this for a week, I could see Monty wanting to talk to me about it. I knew she heard the whole conversation. Just like I knew she went after Sarah when Sarah left.

I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't even really want her here, but I decided to let her come along. She helps soothe Cody.

The nurse came out and called Cody. Monty took his hand and they walked in, as did I, but I stayed by the closed door.

Monty had spun him some bullshit that they needed a little bit of his blood so the doctors could give some to another little boy that really needed it. She made him out to be a superhero.

I stayed in my dark mood for the week, chewing this over. Monty had kept Cody away from me, which in a way I was grateful.

Monty had brought along Cody's teddy. I can't even remember his name. The pathologist was great with Cody. She pretended to give the teddy his needle and she must have been prepared, because the vial she used started filling with a clear liquid with gold glitter.

"See. Popeye is all done." The lady smiled and placed a patch on the teddy's arm.

Cody smiled as he offered her his arm. Monty sat on his other side, holding his hand. She had her back to me and I could see her shoulders rising and falling rapidly.

"Now show me how big and strong you are." She said to him.

"Monty?"

"Yes sweetheart."

"Are you doing this?"

I knew she would lie through her teeth. She had no need for this test, but I knew if she said no, Cody will freak out.

"Of course darling. But you have to sit outside, with Uncle Ollie while I get, myself...done."

"Why?"

"Because, we had too...we had too, for, oh God." I saw Monty turn away as she tried breathing. I frowned. Was she scared of needles?

Monty has had needles before.

Then I remembered when she was sick, she had them, she was out cold. Not awake.

I saw Cody's face as he was about to scream. "Hey buddy. We'll go for ice cream in a minute. What flavour do you want?"

Cody suddenly forgot about the pain as he thought about it.

"Keep looking at me. I want caramel."

"Mint choc chip!"

"I want sprinkles."

Cody's eyes got huge. "And chocolate sauce?"

"Yep." I answered him. I looked down at Monty as she tried to regulate her breathing, her eyes were squeezed shut tightly.

"Cody, how about after ice cream we go to a park?" I just wanted to tell the lady to hurry up. How much blood does she need?

"Nah."

I looked at the kid. He said no to the park?

"Monty won't be up for that." Cody pointed to Monty. She stayed huddled up in her position, but kept her hand gripped in Cody's. I smirked. Maybe Cody was right.

"Okay." The lady had just finished. "Just ice cream."

"All done. Look at you! Super brave!" The lady took her gloves off and swivelled in her chair. She came back to Cody and gave him a lolly pop.

"Thank you!" He said. He looked at the Bandaid on his arm and shrugged it off. "Come on Monty! I'm all done!"

"Okay." I heard Monty weak voice as she let go off Cody's hand. Monty slowly stood up and held the wall. "Let's get you some ice cream." She smiled and I saw the look on her face. She looked like she was going to vomit or pass out.

Her eyes rolled back and I leaned forward and caught her in my arms.

"Oh my!" The pathologist said. "I've been doing this for a few years, don't worry, she isn't the first." The lady picked up a clipboard and fanned Monty in the face as I sat down in the large chair with her against me.

"What's wrong with Monty?" Cody asked me. I looked at the boy. It was hard to make a difference in his features to mine because his father was my identical twin brother. I shared the same features with him.

"Monty doesn't like needles. So Monty goes in to a involuntary sleep."

"What's in bowl in terry?"

"She can't help it. It just happens." Then I lowered my voice and leaned closer to Cody without disrupting Monty. "I think Monty isn't as tough as she looks."

"I heard that." Monty breathed as she shifted.

"You were suppose to." I joked as she sat up.

The nurse checked Monty over before giving the all clear and told us we could go. Monty swayed a bit and I decided to be the proper gentleman my mother raised me to be and held her tightly to me.

"I'm fine." She muttered.

"Just a precaution." I answered her.

"When you want to talk, you have an answer for everything." She said to me.

I scoffed at her. "I ignore those questions because I wish not to answer them."

I saw Monty pout as she shook her head. I led them to the car and buckled Cody in.

"Now I promised this one ice cream." I said to Cody as I got in the car.

We sat in the ice cream parlour as Cody smashed through his ice cream. "How are you feeling?" I asked Monty as she drank her thick shake.

"Better. I told you needles don't agree with me." I made sure Monty had lots of sugar added to her drink, the chocolate syrup, honeycomb pieces, even whipped cream on top.

"Don't be a wuss. You didn't even get a needle. A four year old did and you were the one that fainted." I bluntly told her.

I saw the warning look Monty gave me as she went back to her drink.

Cody was oblivious to us as we spoke. "Now I don't have to take care of you like I did the other night at the hotel, do I?" I smirked at her.

"I'm fine." She snapped at me.

"You reckon I'm snappy."

Monty looked at me as she sat back in bewilderment. That's when Cody interrupted us. Okay, time to go before he hits full potential on that sugar rush.

I knew Monty will be hitting me up later about this topic as I heard her whisper to herself. "Snappy?"

Here we go every one. Last chapter for the day.

Hopefully I can find some free time through the week to update some more, but we are getting close to the end of this story 😩

Until then, take care xx