39.

We followed Optimus to what looked like an abandoned factory, with large buildings and silos in almost every part of the factory complex. Lockdown's ship hovered above us, silently waiting for the signal to strike. "Come on, they have to be around here somewhere" Cade grumbled, bracing the decepticon gun agains his shoulder. I nodded my head, "It's not like they could just disappear..." I responded, casting my gaze around the area.

Suddenly, the building in front of us to our left exploded, causing both Cade and I to take cover behind a large stack of water drums. The sound of metal hitting metal followed soon after, and peering through the smoke, I could see both Lockdown and Optimus, with Lockdown gaining the upper hand. "Y/n, this way!" Cade shouted, pointing towards a collapsed building which we could use as cover. Following Cade, I hid behind a broken section of wall, watching the fight between Lockdown and Optimus take place. Suddenly, gunshots echoed throughout the factory complex, with bullets narrowly missing Cade as they embedded themselves in the brick wall beside him. Out of shock, Cade dropped the decepticon weapon whilst I hid in a corner, expecting another volley of bullets. Instead, a man I recognised stepped forward, aiming a small pistol directly at Cade's chest. My breath quickened out of fear, it was Attinger.

His once navy-blue suit was now covered in dust, and there was a small cut on the bridge of his nose, which had dripped blood down the side of his face. "You see it takes patience to make a man..." He began, glaring towards Cade, "...The patience to watch, and wait, to protect all of us quietly for God and country, without any recognition at all!" He continued, raising his voice every-so-often. Whilst Attinger was focused on Cade, I slowly crept out from my position in the corner, and silently took hold of the decepticon weapon on the ground, bracing it against my shoulder just as Cade had done, before aiming the weapon towards Attinger. "Y/n! Cade!" Optimus shouted towards us, as the fight between him and the bounty hunter continued on. The weapon in my hands charged, making my presence known to Attinger as his gaze flickered between both Cade and myself, "Drop your weapon, now!" I ordered, however, he did not listen.

"There are no good aliens! Or bad aliens Yeager!" He shouted, turning his attention towards me, "It's just us, and them, and you chose them" He finished, now moving his gun away from Cade and aiming the weapon at me. My body froze, as Attinger flicked the gun off its safety, causing my eyes to widen. "No! Don't!" Cade shouted towards Attinger, who took a step towards me. Time slowed down as Attinger began to squeeze the trigger, aiming his gun straight towards my head. Suddenly, the sound of a weapon charging, caused Attinger to turn his gaze away from my form, looking just off to the side. I turned my head towards the battle behind me to see Optimus aiming his shield passed me, before firing a single projectile which flew by me in seconds before it hits its mark, creating a small explosion of dirt and sparks. When the dust cleared, my eyes fell upon the form of Attinger, who lied motionless on the ground with a gaping whole in his chest. Blood stained his shirt from multiple other wounds, whilst small pieces of debris covered his body. Letting a small gasp of shock escape my lips, I turned back to look at Optimus, who had now resumed his fight with Lockdown.

My mind raced with millions of thoughts, each one of them shocking me as a sudden memory came to me, which only happened a few days prior. Optimus promised to never harm, or kill a human, but in the end, he had killed Attinger to protect me.

Suddenly, a loud clang echoed around the complex, causing me to turn and face the battle behind me, the sight almost making me scream. Lockdown had pinned Optimus to one of the silos, before picking up the Prime's fallen sword and stabbing it through Optimus's chest and into the concrete silo behind. I froze as small sparks of blue electricity spouted from the wound, causing Optimus to cry out in pain.

The sword had punctured his spark chamber, if not that, then it had just missed it.