xiii

Chapter Thirteen: Everything Goes Wrong (Not Really)

When Jeongguk woke up Saturday morning he was reminded of the last week's Sunday brunch. The sun was just like it had been, almost lazy, as the beams passed through the foliage–little strings. He was reminded of the thrill he had felt last Sunday, at the thought of spending the day with his family–and he was reminded of the disappointment he had felt when Taehyung didn't show.

      He was trying not to think about that though, as he knew it was foolish.

      He knew he was coming. He was certain, things would be different this Saturday.

      But as the morning passed, his thoughts returned to doubt, and he kept feeling afraid that Taehyung wouldn't show up. But he only needed to remind himself of the phone call he had had with him to settle his nerves. They had stayed up late into the night chatting, talking about their plan, as it hadn't been perfected. Jeongguk had talked the most, on the other side of the phone, Taehyung had given the occasional grunt of approval, but otherwise, he stayed quiet. After a long time, well into the night, Jeongguk had noticed how his friend's breathing had turned heavy and he realised, he had fallen asleep. He hadn't tried to wake him up, he'd just hung up his phone and gone to bed himself. If Taehyung wouldn't show up today, their entire plan would fall into pieces; Taehyung was the star player, if he didn't come, they could as well throw it out of the window and make the invitations without any tricks up their sleeve.

      But Taehyung arrived and all was normal. He seemed a little tired, a little distracted but that was normal as he had stayed up late the previous night. Still, there was mischief in his eyes as he met Jeongguk's gaze. And Jeongguk, who hadn't even realised the tension he was holding in his shoulders, relaxed, he felt assured that their plan was in motion.

      The living room had turned into a wedding-invite-station of some sort. There was a big pile of empty cards on the coffee table and a few lists with the names Namjoon had written down on the computer, split into separate groups. Jeongguk had taken aside the list with Jin's name in it as soon as he had gotten his hand on them and now he handed it to Taehyung. He was to write out the invitations to those on that list, all of them except Seokjin, as he wasn't actually being invited. They had talked about that specifically last night, wondering how exactly they'd make it so that Jeongyeon would believe Seokjin was coming, but at the same time keep him away. Jeongguk had decided it would be best to steal a thank-you-card, write down that Seokjin either accepted or declined the invite and then sneak it in with the other thank-you cards. That way, there would be no actual drama on the day of the wedding itself. He didn't want to ruin his sister's big day, he wasn't cruel.

      So the two of them, each with their own list, started working. Placing the already printed out invites into an envelope with a thank-you card, they then wrote out the names of the guest and their address on the envelope and placed it in a pile. Jeongguk enjoyed it for the most part as he liked seeing familiar names–and less familiar names–wondering what it would be like to have all of them at the wedding. He wondered which of them would meet for the first time at the wedding, which would hit it off, which would actively avoid a certain relative, which one of them would drink too much for their own good, and if any of them would talk to him. He shrugged as he wrote out the invitations to his aunts, knowing well that when the time came, they would try to smother him with kisses and ask him whether or not he remembered them. But apart from the growing ache in his hand, it was a fun project.