oo2

CHAPTER TWO

TEN YEARS later.

I broke two rules today.

There were three columns of the parking, four police officers checking each lane, and a difference of six cars from mine towards the entrance. Hanging in the borders, the giant district clock showed the numbers 10:26 pm with the date January 3rd underneath it.

Cursing underneath my breath, I decided to call my birthday as my “curse” day instead. Why did misfortunes always occur to me in this date?

I watched the officers from my window urging the drivers and the passengers to go out from their vehicles, whereas the chips in their wrists were being scanned by the newly developed mini-diamond machine that the Nakamoto family decided to call the Dectogem. It was used to find out whether you’re a Neon carrier, a Cyan carrier, or a non-carrier at all. The upgraded small design of Dectogem helped officers carry it around everywhere, helping them identify a citizen’s chip without breaking a sweat.

Only six cars left until my car’s own inspection.

The stolen Dectogem was tight inside my hands: this was the first rule that I broke. If you weren’t working for the government or the Capital, you’re not allowed to wield this machine. But this thing will be the one to save me from exposing my real identity.

After working with the detector and changing its wires here and there, I gave it a trial and scanned it around across my wrist to check if my manipulation was successful.

D E T E C T E D

NEON CITIZEN

“Yes, it worked!” I raised my fists to the air. Out of excitement, I kicked the space right in front of me, just below the car’s driving wheel.

Aw!” the person hiding underneath it winced in pain.

“Sorry! I almost forgot that you’re there,” I grinned partly, retreating my feet away from him.

Second rule that I broke: I helped two fugitives escape.

“Are you sure those cops didn’t brought machines that can detect a person hiding inside your car?” he asked, his voice muffled by the tight area where he’s secluded.

“Rest assured; they won’t find or notice you no matter what type of devices that they’re carrying,” I said then showed him the output of my work. “Anyway, look. The machine says I am a Neon. We will cross the entrance safely, trust me.”

“Aren’t you already a Neon?” he asked. “Isn’t your brother, like, one of the bosses that we met at the funeral?”

“Actually, I am not like him,” I said. “It’s a long story,” a sigh. “By the way,” I changed the topic. “I can’t believe that the two of you are in this kind of place! Do you know that the non-carriers are being taken away by the government? That they are wanted? We are wanted…?”

“We know that already,” the second boy replied timidly. I almost assumed he’d fallen asleep for how quiet he was.

“Then what are you doing in the Hospital Main? What if I didn’t see you guys? You could’ve been captured,” I said.

“We already told you the reason,” the other snapped. “We want to see our brother.”

Brother. Brother. Of course. Kwon Jeena must’ve told them already.

“Na Jaemin is somewhere inside the walls,” I told them, facing the scenery in front of me. We’re only three vehicles away from being inspected.

“Are you going to help us see him?” the first one asked. “Will this entrance led its way to Na—to our brother?”