Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Dallas

I shot Damien the dirtiest glare I could muster while still trying to comfort my beta as he upchucked the Monday meatloaf into the trashcan behind our seats. At least Damien wasn’t still smirking. For the first 30 seconds they were looking at each other, Damien wore this smug, patronizing grin and even dared to wink at him. He freaking winked at Sam. I remember watching the color drain from Sam’s terrified face before he jumped up out of his seat and vomited out his feelings. I rubbed his back some more. The poor kid.

Troye was furious. He was practically chewing off his tongue to keep himself from cursing out our new instructor--being the typical teachers pet he is. Me on the other hand let a couple of profound swear words out the second he turned around. The nerve he had showing up here after all he put Sam through. Long story short, the guy may have saved Sam’s life, but he was ruining it all over again.

“Dal, get him to the nurse,” Troye managed to say between his clenched teeth, obviously still fighting off his temper. I nodded and grabbed Sam’s shoulder, leading him out of the row and down to the door. He kept his head down and his eyes trained on his feet as we passed Damien whose indifference made me want to scream. He didn’t even say a word as we left the classroom…no one did.

“God fucking damnit, I swear to all things holy I will kill that man,” I seethed, my fist connecting with the tattered metal of some unlucky kids locker as Sam and I stood in the hallway.

Sam was still frighteningly pale and utterly speechless. His back hit the wall of lockers next to me and he slid down it, his face in his hands. I cursed again. I hated seeing Sam like this. Sam was a beta; he wasn’t supposed to be tossed around by some mediocre evil demon who didn’t know how to comb his hair. Sam was supposed to be untouchable, he was supposed to be my rock not some demon’s plaything.

I opened my mouth to say something else, but I was cut off.

“Don’t Dallas,” he said firmly, despite his shaking body. “Just don’t.”

I sighed. “I can’t help it! You’re my best friend, how am I supposed to watch you wallow in misery because some douche bag demon broke your heart!”

“He didn’t break my heart, Dallas,” Sam growled, pushing himself off the floor and facing me. “He… he just took it with him,” Sam finished, his voice drawing to a whisper.

I ran my hands over my face in frustration. After all this and Sam was still in love with the damn kid? Was he insane or just stupid?!

I sighed for what felt like the millionth time today and rubbed Sam’s shoulder as his lip began to tremble.

“Sammy, it’s gonna be—“

“DON’T. Don’t call me that. Don’t try to tell me it’s going to be okay. It’s not Dallas. It’s fucking not,” Sam growled, throwing my arm off him as he whipped around, his eyes glowing the ice blue of his wolf. I backed away from him, my hands held up in defeat. I didn’t know what else to do.

Boys, is there a problem here?”

The low soothing voice drawled out the first word, patronizing us yet again. I felt my entire body shake with fury as I whipped around to the sight of Mr. Freaking Rush.

                                                            ~~

Sam

“OH, you know there’s going to be a problem when I’m through with you,” Dallas snarled, his K9’s flashing as he lunged for Damien. But before Damien could do any damage to him, I yanked back Dallas’ shoulders and pulled him into my chest as he fought against my hold.