Lollipops - Chapter 33

Breakfast that morning felt different for Naomi, because now she understood everything; she understood why the girls cast her pitiful, concerned looks, and why Marlene looked at her smugly.

Her cancer.

It still came as a shock to her that her friends knew her secret this entire time, and she hadn't even known it. It made her feel like a fool. But, most of all, she felt betrayed by Remus, who she had just discovered was the person who had told Marlene her secret—or so she thought.

"Naomi, pass the marmalade, would you?" Speaking of the devil, Remus' voice shook Naomi out of her thoughts.

She gave him a look as she passed him the drink, and he gave her a perplexed look. She offered no word to his look, rather pretending that she was looking in the opposite direction at the Slytherin table.

While she did so, she caught eye of Drew, who tried to mouth something to her, but she turned away quickly before she was able to decipher his message.

James, who had witnessed the encounter between Drew and Naomi, leaned into Naomi and curiously asked, "What's his deal?"

Naomi looked at James and explained, "Him and I used to date. He broke up with me but now he wants me back,"

James nodded slowly before casting a nasty look Drew's way. He concernedly asked Naomi, "Want us to do something about it?"

Naomi frantically shook her head. "No, that's alright,"

James reluctantly nodded. "Alright, but we'll play a prank on him for good measure. Don't be alarmed if you see him with maroon and golden skin tomorrow."

James and Naomi couldn't contain their giggles at his words. Naomi saw Sirius eying then for an unknown reason, but she thought nothing of it. Lily, however, stared at them with judging eyes, and said to Naomi with a falsely calm tone, "Naomi, would you like to head down to classes early with me?"

Naomi was absolutely certain that Lily only said that to get her away from James, but nonetheless she nodded in acceptance and stood up.

"I'll come too, if you guys don't mind." Remus spoke up, and Naomi glanced at his empty plate, cursing her luck. She didn't want to be with Remus for any longer, knowing that he had betrayed her trust.

"We don't mind at all, Remus," Lily kindly nodded.

Naomi would've said something along the lines of 'speak for yourself' if she wanted to be cross with him, but instead she settled for a light scoff under her breath.

Together, the three students left the Great Hall and began to walk to Transfiguration together. Remus stood in between the two girls. While Lily was busy blabbing on about the difficulty of their latest essay, Remus leaned into Naomi and asked, "Has something happened to you?"

Naomi stiffened. "No."

Remus stared at her unconvincingly until she confessed.

"Lily told me what you did. What you told Marlene."

Remus stared at her for a moment. "What? Sorry, I don't follow,"

Naomi narrowed her eyes uncharacteristically. "So, you didn't tell Marlene that I have cancer?"

"What?" Remus exclaimed in shock. Lily stopped talking and stared at them weirdly.

"Are you guys even listening to me?" Lily offendedly questioned.

"No, sorry, Lily," Naomi had the courtesy to look sheepish, "Though, would you mind telling Remus why I'm so disappointed in him?"

Lily looked confused, and Naomi shook her head before facing Remus. Naomi said, "According to Lily, you are the reason that Marlene knows I have cancer."