The Journey (Edited I)

A/N - This is the flag for the Academy of Alactria.

The tent was small. A threadbare rug was on the floor, and the four boys were chatting, only pausing when I stood awkwardly in the entryway after the man had disappeared back to the stage, probably to continue with the ceremony. The pink egg was hugged against my chest, the smooth scales cool and comforting.

"The bag is over there,".

I blinked "I'm sorry?". The boy, the one with the fire token and egg, smiled at me.

"Over here,". He stepped towards a low table I hadn't noticed to the side. "We can put our eggs in a bag to keep them safe. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss-,".

"Amy,". I responded with a small smile, sipping the pink egg into the bag he handed to me. "Just Amy,".

"Nice to meet you. I'm Adam. The stage is pretty scary huh? All those eyes staring at you. I wish I could have put my hood up,". I laughed, and Adam smiled at me, I slipped the bag on my shoulder and turned to the other boys, one of whom looked up at me and smirked. "Do we need to go back up to the stage now?".

"Excuse me?". I said. "What am I, a servant? No, I'm here because I have a dragon egg, not because I'm a messenger,".

The boy looked at me in disbelief. I think he was one of Dhilan's friends.

"You, a Rider? You are just a girl,". His handsome face twisted into a sneer, and I took a step forwards.

"Why you insufferable egotistical idiot! You-".

"I suggest you stop that right now, young lady,". I worked around, a rebuke already on my lips, but it died when I recognised the portly man, the hat placed back onto his head. Three boys slipped past him into the tent, followed by Dhilan, who looked me up and and down as he spoke:

"Don't worry, I'm sure it is a mistake. A girl could never be a Rider, and even so, like I'd let my betrothed shame me by leaving the village to go fight. She is a girl, after all,". He took a step towards me and I leapt backwards, nearly slipping if it weren't for the subtle steadying hand of Adam, catching me before I could damage the egg.

"Well, I guess the betrothal is off, thank the Sun,". I snapped, suddenly feeling irrationally protective over the pink egg by my side. "So why don't you just leave now, before you make a fool of yourself?".

"How dare you!,". He lunged forwards and suddenly I appreciated just how powerful he was. He towered over me, although he was only a few centimetres taller, his muscles bulging as he reached for me. "I am a Chieftain, and you will marry me! When that egg is smashed into pretty pink shards, you won't have an escape route-".

"I'd rather die!". The words burst out of my lips unbidden, and with a jolt I realised I would rather die than see my egg smashed. It was my egg and there was no chance Dhilan would ever get near it.

"What, like your father?". The words made me freeze, a kaleidoscope of memories swirling through my mind, and I took a step back, my arm held out protectively in front of my egg. The portly man stepped forwards, and with a click of his fingers shoved Dhilan back with a gust of wind.

"I think you should leave, Chieftain's Son,". He stated firmly. "Amy is now a Dragon Rider, and to kill a Dragon Rider is punishable by death,". I breathed a sigh of relief as Dhilan left the tent flap, and the man turned to us, forcing a smile on his face.

"Congratulations on receiving your tokens, eggs or both. I trust that you will do your village proud. Split off into pairs and go to each other's homes, packing the bare minimum. All clothes will be provided by the Academy. Be quick!".