Shock

The planet earth was crumbling and the human population had started to overpopulate the earth. There were homes on top of homes, barley any land available to grow crops. The mutations that have been done to the food to erase the ever growing starvation rate has caused multiple pregnancies to become a normal occurrence. Twins were a blessing. Having quadruplets has become a norm, and having just one child was unheard of. The fate of the world seemed to be fighting a loosing war with itself. That is until he showed up.

His name is Ezekiel Valentine. He was born in what was called the golden era and as beautiful as it sounds it was everything but that. He was born in the year 2040. The people of this era have been effected by everything from the unwaveringly harsh waves of the sun; to the untested mutations of food that scientists were selling due to the lack of animal life that had survived the first sun flare. Scientist were using copies of cloned animals and copies of cloned plants to feed the human population. This manufactured food that they were putting out didn't get approved by a government nor were they tested by any nutritionalists. Those didn't exist anymore. There wasn't a care for how the mutated food was going to effect people just that food was being dished out and people were no longer starving.

Everything changed with Barbara and John's pregnancy with Ezekiel. This pregnancy was not a normal one and it astonished the world. He was the first child in two and a half decades to be an only child. A child that did to not share the womb with siblings. The world was thrown off its' axel with his existence. Scientists flocked to his hospital room once news had spread trying to buy him from his parents even before birth wanting to have him as soon as he was born for testing. They wanted to test Barbara and John as well wanted to see if they could replicate the single birth. They had triplets with their first pregnancy but this time they were pregnant with one.

Their triplets were three years old now. The scientists were enraged that they were not informed immediately at Barbara's first doctor visit. Scientists came from far and wide offering the family the most glamorous life that can be lived in this almost barren planet. The least altered food and the coldest places to live were the sun flares are least active. Barbara and John refused the millions that were offered as well as the refuge from the harshness of the planet knowing that only pain and suffering would come from accepting that kind of deal. So they made the decision to ran with their unborn child and triplets until they felt they could be safe.

There was a light speed hovercraft covered at their home in an old barn behind their home. It had always been a last resort in case of emergencies. This was given to them by dear friends who left Texas over a decade ago to find better living. The Horton family was the kindest souls that they had ever met and they had begged them to come along when they first saw the issues rising with the government breakdown. Barbara felt they still had things to offer and couldn't leave especially with what they knew. So the Hortons left them the hovercraft and advised them if ever an emergency arises to use it to get away from it all and they bid them a heartbreaking farewell. The hovercraft was very hi-tech since, the wife, Valery Horton was a scientist and, the husband, James Horton was a technical genius. They had created a hovercraft that was more advanced than anything that was on the market. The hovercraft was the best thing they could have left and it was fully stocked with everything needed for a quick answer stealthy getaway.

The Valentine family had traveled a long way with the little bit of energy that was left in their hovercraft, halfway across the world to be exact. Leaving Texas had been hard on them but after months of running and hiding they found a surprisingly uninhabited piece of land. It was in what use to be known as the rainforest. The earth hadn't seen real rain in over a decade. The scientists had drones to fly at least once a week with genetically modified liquid that had some of the same characteristics of water to replace what rain they weren't getting. The oceans had almost dried up but this small piece of land looked like something out of old picture books. It was maybe four acres big. There were still trees and flowers growing. A couple of birds were perched in the canopy of the trees. Insects crawled at the roots of trees and lizards crawled about the trunks. The family was ecstatic that they had been so fortunate to have found this safe haven. They knew that they had to be careful there was no way that this large piece of land had gone unnoticed and uninhabited for so long. It had too much to offer.