We Like A Man With Authority Here In Alabaster's Subconscious

I groaned and pried open my eyes. Lux was still on top of me, his head on my chest, his body between my legs. Except now I was supporting his whole weight. It was oddly comforting.

I looked down at him. He was asleep.

Cassius always woke up before me.

Lux's face was the same as when he was awake, pursed lips, furrowed brows. It seemed like he never relaxed. I wasn't even sure if he was breathing.

He must be tired.

It was late in the evening, warm sunshine was beginning to fade from the small crack in the drapes.

Right, he was a vampire. It was probably early in the morning for him. It wasn't hard to adjust to his schedule. I was used to staying up late from my days working at Impulse. I exhaled and cautiously began to lift him off of me. Lux didn't stir as I tried to lay him down gently as possible. I finally got him down and pressed my hand into the mattress beside the vampire, leaning over him.

He was fucking heavy.

Just when I thought I was safe, his eyes flicked open. My breath caught as he watched me with interest. I jolted and my hand slipped. I fell on his chest and quickly scrambled backward.

"Oh fuck, I didn't mean to wake you up!" I whisper yelled and sat back on my hands. Lux turned on his side and looked at me, still not speaking. He was sort of confusing.

I stood still as he pulled on my shirt and tugged me closer. Hesitantly, I laid my head down on the pillows and felt my body tense.

Lux tucked my hair behind my ear and let his hand linger by my jaw. My breathing came out in soft pants.

"Good evening," he murmured, his voice was rough and quiet.

"Uh, hi," I muttered awkwardly and mentally scolded myself for being such a tool.

"Did you sleep well?" He hummed and let his amber eyes trail down my body.

"I... did, yeah," I replied and curled my arms to my chest. Lux wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer so that our chests were pressed together. My skin tingled under my clothes at the closeness.

I wondered what it would feel like if he touched my bare skin.

"Good," he muttered and sounded distracted. I closed my eyes and let him hold me. "You can't leave this room, for now." Lux sighed and I felt his grip tighten

"What? Why not?" I asked and snapped my eyes open.

"Well, first of all, you're a demon," he grinned and twirled my hair in his fingers. "And that would cause a few problems if anyone saw you."

"Second of all?" I ventured and pressed my palms onto his chest. His gaze flicked downwards.

"I can't trust you yet," he muttered and I knew he was right, "I'm sorry."

"It's-it's fine, I get it," I replied because I did. I had told him I had a mate and that I wanted to go back. I wouldn't trust me either.

Hell, the first time he lets me out I'm probably gonna make a run for it. Most likely.

"Does it bother you?" I asked cautiously and looked up at him.

"Does what bother me?"

"That I'm a demon," I explained, I knew some vampires despised demons over the war, and vice versa.

"Not particularly, you don't hate vampires, do you?" He replied and ran his palm down my back.

"Well, no, my best friend is dating a vampire," I explained and he nodded. "And he's pretty cool I guess." Thinking of Jamie and Nikolai made me feel homesick.