~Chapter 27~

AN: Hello, wonderful people! Another chapter, yay!

I am happy to say that I have mostly planned out the entire story now, so unless more crazy ideas war in my head, we are heading towards our last big rollercoaster dive. Yikes! Thanks again for the big support! <3

Also, I gotta confess. The closer I am to the end, the more nervous I get to post a chapter. I am NOT fishing for compliments. It's just another anxiety-driven hamster here.xx

Your Fearsome Hamster

He was roaming the streets of the town, adrift like a ship without anchor and without a safe harbour. Shoving the unaware donor further in the corner of the alley, he wiped disgusted the crimson liquid staining his lips. Not even the thrill of the chase for blood excited him any more, though he was still starving after the taxing effort it took to summon the snow storm. Having tasted his Margo, everything but her was foul now.

Zachary continued his march in the snow, the dark scowl on his face scaring away the villagers crossing his path.

Were Lazarus to see him, he would accuse the vampire of sulking. Zachary scoffed. Where was the bloody gargoyle anyway? After the wedding reception where he had scolded his winged friend for scaring his mate with his inappropriate behaviour, Lazarus had disappeared into thin air.

Zachary scoffed. And they said vampires were easily offended.

He could certainly use Lazarus's nose now to sniff out those cursed Dark Mages. Wherever they were hiding, it would not be for long. His fangs were itching with the need for revenge as he was certain they were the ones behind his and Margo's dispute. Although, were his beloved's tears this morning also because of them? Or because of his machinations to earn her love?

The vampire stomped viciously, a terrified passer-by yelping and scurrying away on the frozen street. Nevermind, he would kill the bloody spell-casters anyway. Perhaps, this would somehow alleviate the painful tugs of his heart.

Out of the blue, Zachary bowed over, his knees giving out and hitting the frozen ground. Agony erupted in his whole body.

"Sir?" someone called out in the distance.

What the fuck? A quick scan revealed no injuries to himself. Through his pain-addled mind, he remembered reading of this phenomenon long ago, even before his imprisonment; as a youngling he had been avid for any piece of information regarding fated mates while waiting for his. Rejecting the hands trying to help him up, Zachary pushed himself and speeded in the direction of his manor, following Margo's faint scent in the air, while his mind repeated the same piece of knowledge.

Mates of strong connections were able to sense each other's pain in grave danger.

Curse the gods. He would have taken dozens of daggers in the chest than this sinking reality.

Hold on, my love.

.........................

The scent trail followed a twisted path in the very forest he had taken care of to have guarded. The spells around the woodland were strong and were specifically weaved to take care of any under his protection. Especially his mate. Not for the first time he wondered how could Margo get lost inside it since the forest was always meant to show her a safe way back home.

Suddenly, his skin prickled with unease. The sound of rushing water was growing stronger as he neared the river bank. He noted warily that the comforting weight of the protective magic had vanished in this part of the forest.

A growl escaped him, sensing another foreign presence on his territory. A horse nickered in the distance. If any had dared hurt Margo...

Zachary stopped short.